SOLVED: German Triumphon Portable Speed Issues

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

SOLVED: German Triumphon Portable Speed Issues

Post by pellicano1 »

Anyone familiar with European portables (German)? Having an issue with speed setting. I replaced governor springs (Ron Sitko is the man!). Cleaned and oiled the governor. Added more leather to speed lever and added drop of oil. When I move the speed control arm on the top it seems to hit 60-74rpm then move it a tad more and skyrockets to 90+. Ive tried adjusting the governor and the speed arm on top. This is a tricky one! There is also 2 vertical screws on either end of the governor on outside of motor casing (shown below) where you can rock it back and forth to lineup the leather to center onto the governor disc. The bottom screw needs to be slightly loose or the governor sits too tight. Any help appreciated! The speed is very intermittent. Will work for a bit then slow down. Turn the crank handle and speeds up fast then slow. Driving me nuts!! Could it be the spring?

Thanks all!!
Attachments
IMG_20181121_162126786.jpg
IMG_20181121_152847126.jpg
IMG_20181121_152900889.jpg
IMG_20181121_152900889.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Last edited by pellicano1 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

soundgen
Victor V

Re: German Triumphon Portable Speed Issues

Post by soundgen »

I think you have fitted a wrong set of governor springs , what you describe is exactly the result of fitting too thick springs ! you need to get thinner ones

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Re: German Triumphon Portable Speed Issues

Post by pellicano1 »

soundgen wrote:I think you have fitted a wrong set of governor springs , what you describe is exactly the result of fitting too thick springs ! you need to get thinner ones
Thanks! The springs are a bit stiff. The springs that were on there when I acquired were definitely incorrect and homemade. They are not easy to come by. Im waiting to hear back from a friend in Canada who has a similar Triumphon and he makes springs. Here's hoping!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison