Small Georgian Style Boxed Phonograph No Makers Name

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HINES1942
Victor Jr

Small Georgian Style Boxed Phonograph No Makers Name

Post by HINES1942 »

Hi

Here is a much smaller machine looking a little tatty I have not touched it, housed in a mahogany box has a winder. I would appreciate help with the maker of this example and is it worth having restored. I live in Yorkshire England.

Many thanks

Martin
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2c47.jpeg
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2c43.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Small Georgian Style Boxed Phonograph No Makers Name

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Martin,

This is a German cylinder machine made by Excelsior of Cologne from around 1903. You can see their shield logo trademark on the side with the letters EWC (Excelsiorwerke Cöln). Hopefully you will also find 'EWC' on the reproducer. It's certainly worth restoring, I think they are nice smooth running machines. If you can get the moderator to move this to European machines you may get more advice. They generally have a spun aluminium horn.

Jamie

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Interesting little machine. All I know about is that I like its looks. Neil

Accursius
Victor Jr

Post by Accursius »

Excelsior was, at its time, one of the most important German manufacturers of both cheap phonographs and cylinder records.. Compared with similar short lived German cylinder machines, the Excelsior phonographs are usually relatively well made and, of course, worth being restored. They were often sold bundled with an assortment of cylinders looking like this one:
Attachments
F34455F9-5217-4D3F-A557-1A13C932A4D5.jpeg