Please id this HMV portable Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: Please id this HMV portable Gramophone

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, it is an Oak cabinet with some nice graining in it. These machines don't turn up very often and when they do, fetch fairly high prices so if you are able to get to the auction it would be worth seeing if you can get it for a reasonable price !!

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The lids all have locks, but on the PBO and PBC it is incorporated into a single button catch, as it is also in the PA[A]O under discussion. Some PA[A]Os have a central lock, and two press-button catches as well. It looks as if these are the earlier ones, so if the extra letter 'A' refers to the lid catch, then this is a PAAO.

I was not aware that the alloy-framed motor was ever fitted in the PA[A]O; I associate it with the PBO. I'd be grateful for confirmation of this.

Bear in mind that these letter designations were very seldom included in catalogues or advertisements; they were used for internal communications, e.g. for parts ordering. The extra'A' would indicate a variation from the original, which could indeed refer to a different lid catch, or a different motor, or both if they were both introduced at the same time.

The 105 had a suitcase lid catch, lake the later portables.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

So much REALLY interesting information.

Just to mention that I have decided not to bid for this item for personal reasons but I really hope that someone on this website is interested and acquires it - and hopefully shares a few photo's and observations.

poodling around
Victor V

Sold for £ 35 I think.

Hopefully sold to someone on the forum !

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I have now seen this machine (no, I was not the buyer!), and the buyer has looked inside and found that the motor does indeed have an alloy chassis. That seems to confirm that the single latch and alloy motor go together to make a PAO into a PAAO!

poodling around
Victor V

Oedipus wrote:I have now seen this machine (no, I was not the buyer!), and the buyer has looked inside and found that the motor does indeed have an alloy chassis. That seems to confirm that the single latch and alloy motor go together to make a PAO into a PAAO!

Very good !

So this was adapted later from the original and first produced PAO.

Most interesting.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote:Sold for £ 35 I think.
That's ridiculous! A machine as rare as this should have made at least three times that price.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I ended up buying this particular example off the purchaser who bought it at auction who's also a member of this forum.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Steve wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:37 pm I actually ended up buying this particular example from the purchaser who bought it at auction at the CLPGS Phonofair five months later. The auction buyer is also a member of this forum.

I recall it cost me about £250 which seemed reasonable given the way it was presented for sale ie. looking considerably better than it did at auction.

Of course had I known about the auction I would have preferred to save £215 and do the tarting up myself but such is life! :D

I'm still staggered anyone local aware of this would knowingly walk away from it at £35 though. I'd like to think anyone with any knowledge of gramophones would know it should make £250-300 on a bad day on Ebay.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Sorry my post got duplicated in error and there is no option to delete your posts here!