Early Teak HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Early Teak HMV 101

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

So finally found the exact colonial model I have been looking for - a front wind 101. Also I have taken Phono48's words to heart! And thereby submitting yet another post on a HMV colonial.

In the past 2 weeks have located a 118, 114, 112, the case of a 100 and now this. Albeit across India, Sri-Lanka & Burma.

Again, like the others this has been located in Asia. And this one was found in Delhi. Have been studying the snaps and my only concern is it looks too good (relative to machines you stumble across in Delhi). In my opinion, its either been superbly maintained by some family who treasured it...or...its a fab fake. Though who would take the trouble to fake this is a good question.

So either its all a great run of luck. Or I'm a prize sucker!
Attachments
101.jpg
101-2.jpg
101-3.jpg
IMG-20190214-WA0006.jpg

Teak
Victor II

Re: Early Teak HMV 101

Post by Teak »

100% original and beautiful to behold! You are certainly on a roll ^^

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Apart from the missing turntable clip, which is very easy to replace, all is present and correct. Well done!

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Thanks guys! Its bizarre. Spent many years, in my spare time, looking for machines, particularly colonials in India and Burma,where I used to live circa 2008. So would hunt for machines with weekends devoted to day long trips wherein a group of us would explore the city / countryside, eat at local haunts, antique hunting etc and I would wander off to look at gramophones. And almost everything I came across ended up being crap / machines too battered to save or dead ones. Have lost count of the number of cases I've seen. The innards discarded and the cases used for storage. And now after more than a decade wherein I had stopped looking for machines in that part of the world...

At this rate, I think I may need to educate myself on the basics of HMV horn machines and start looking for those too!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

HMV continued to manufacture open horn machines for the Indian market for several years after they disappeared from the UK catalogues, so there are probably examples out there still waiting to be discovered and rescued. Good hunting!

Even the EMI Group Archives do not hold a complete run of Indian machine catalogues, so please keep this interesting thread going with news of your finds.