Identify HMV early 3 springs motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ricoxi
Victor Jr

Identify HMV early 3 springs motor

Post by ricoxi »

Dear all, anyone could identify this HMV early 3 springs motor. This motor I just restored it and well done running. However, I haven't seen any motor code on the motor, could you advise me?
01.jpg
01.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (131.26 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
07.jpg
09.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Identify HMV early 3 springs motor

Post by jamiegramo »

I'm wondering if this is motor no. 30. Similar motors were available as either single or double aswell as triple springs but each having the same fine teeth and governor arrangement. It dates from around 1918 and your table model appears to be a model 120 from around the same time. Quite a grand machine, not many table models had 3 springs. I think you've done a great job on the motor. Did you have thumping springs?

The_Forager
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Another fine mess.

Post by The_Forager »

Excellent restoration work - thanks for sharing!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This motor is a typical 3 spring motor used on either a VV XIV, or a VV XVI. I believe these were manufactured by Victor and imported to the UK. The table top is unusual to have this motor. These were reserved for the higher end uprights, here in the USA. What model is this? Is the crank male or female? That will help me date it. Nice machine, I like it.
Harvey Kravitz

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The final version of the Model 9 (1915-1922) was, as Jamie says, renamed Model 120. It was HMV's top of the range table grand at the time.

Most examples had the Exhibition soundbox, but late (1922) examples had the No.2. I cannot make out what soundbox is fitted to the machine pictured, but it looks more like a No.2 than an Exhibition.

Congratulations on rebuilding the triple spring motor. This is not a task for the fainthearted!

ricoxi
Victor Jr

Post by ricoxi »

Dear all, thanks for your supports and advises about my triple springs motor by HMV. When I found this motor, it had a soundbox of His Master's Voice NO.2. I have a golden exhibition and suit this motor as well. Yes, this motor is very rare to find, it looks like as Victrola but it's name HIS MASTER'S VOICE with scrolled frame decal. Unfortunately, as you saw those pictures before my restoration, three springs all were mess already.

Later, I will share some vedios on Youtube for playing testing.
002.jpg
002.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (140.75 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 1523 times

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Have you looked underneath the gramophone? On the bottom board of Gram. Co. table models at this period, there was originally at least one paper label, giving the letter code for the model (TEM, or possibly TEAM for a modified version), and very often a date, either rubber stamped or pencilled in. The No 2 soundbox was fitted from February 1922, and the model number changed from 9 to 120 in July, a mere four months before it was deleted. A 120 would probably have this number rubber-stamped on the aforementioned paper label. Even if the paper label has not survived, examine the bottom board closely under a good light; sometimes the date was written or stamped directly on to the wood.

ricoxi
Victor Jr

Post by ricoxi »

Thanks all guys comments. I'm sharing vedios on Youtube and plays CARUSO by this motor. https://youtu.be/1xqAn9VgpiQ
Enjoy!