Celebrity round Gramophone & my First machine HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nigel
Victor Jr

Celebrity round Gramophone & my First machine HMV 101

Post by Nigel »

Hello all! I have been looking aorund for A while now and havent found a suitable Machine for myself yet. But I will get there eventually!

I found this Machine called a Celebrity. Its a round gramophone machine, wich seems kind of unusual to me? I tried googling this machine, and came up with nothing!

I will show Pictures Below. Can anybody tell me If this machine is of good quality? Also what is the white top about? Also is this machine's made of mahogony?

Any information would be appriciated. Also This machine is for sale for 600 euro's (515GBP) ($690)

thank you!

Edit: Updated Pictures!

Edit 2: I also found a HMV 101 with auto stop feature on it, is that a good machine to have? Arent they all with a Auto stop Feature?

-Nigel
Attachments
celebrity-066.jpg
celebrity-055.jpg
celebrity-044.jpg
celebrity-033.jpg
celebrity-021.jpg
celebrity-012.jpg
Last edited by Nigel on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Celebrity round Gramophone?

Post by estott »

The round shape is the best thing about this machine- it is an attractive novelty but will not provide the best sound. There may be some areas of mahogany veneer on the cabinet but most of it is a secondary wood like birch. The ornamental design on the front is a decal transfer. The white top appears to be something to hide damage. The motor, arm, and other parts appear to be Swiss- not of bad quality but not the very best.

This is a collectable machine, but best for looks.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

This is very similar to the "Tyrela Registered design" phonograph. (This is not mine btw, I got the pictures from @techclassics instagram)

Martin
Attachments
Screenshot_20190228-092731_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190228-092729_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190228-092725_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190228-092721_Instagram.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Unlike the Tyrela, which has a conventional horn with doors in front of it, the Celebrity horn points downwards and emerges underneath where a base panel would normally be found. In other words, it plays to the carpet, so the cat will have the best seat in the house. The cabinet is cheaply made of bent veneered plywood, and as Estott says, the appeal of the machine is visual rather than acoustic.

To answer your second question, the HMV101 was produced from 1925 to 1931, but only the later versions from 1929 onwards were fitted with an autobrake. The 101 is an excellent portable, but during it's production run the No.4 soundbox changed from brass to pot metal, so check for signs of metal fatigue.

On a brass No.4 the rubber insulator is a flush fitting with the back plate, but on a pot metal one the insulator protrudes from it.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Thank you all for the reply, the round gramophone is a no-go for me then.

Here are the pictures of the 101 with auto stop feature. This one is for sale for 200 euro. what do you guys think? would this be a good start machine to buy?

thank you all, especially epigramophone, for giving me a clear background of machines.

Also, the 101 with the autostop feature, is it worse\better build then the older version of the 101, without a auto stop feature?
Last edited by Nigel on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That looks like everything one could possibly want.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Apart from the soundbox issue already mentioned, I am not aware of any change in build quality between early and later 101's.

The machine pictured is a very late example, and while not cheap it appears to be in excellent original condition. The absence of wear on the outer case, the carrying handle and the rubber "feet" suggest that it has led a sheltered life.

If you are able to view the machine in person, ensure that it plays a record all the way through without rewinding. Try a worn record as it will impose an extra drag on the motor, and will expose a weak spring.

Any noticeable bumps from the motor during winding or play indicate the need for cleaning and re-greasing the spring, not a job for a beginner.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Hello! I just purchased this 101, and its being send to me on monday. I bought it from a ''official'' reputable dealer, it has been serviced and whatnot. This will be my first machine. I'm very excited!

In the future I would love to own a HMV 511 aswell, But that seems extremely hard to find. Maybe in the future! All I know is I will Enjoy my 101 to the fullest.

Thanks for all the advice you all have given.

This forum is a very Helpful, and I am looking forward to be a part of this community in the future.

Also. I have 1 more question. and this may seem like a silly one, but iam still kind of new to all this, and learning every day. My question being; I can only play the old records on a Machine like this right? From the 20's 30's 40's 50's? And it is only the shellac disks right? Wich is the 78 RMP ones? I dont want to make any mistakes. Also I got soft tone needles.

thanks!

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

This is one of the last 101s, with the improved motor fitted to the 102 that replaced it in 1931. By this time, the No 4 soundboxes were made entirely of pot metal, which tends to disintegrate, which is probably why it has been replaced here with an earlier, all-brass NO 4. Thus you have a 101 with the best motor and the best soundbox. It will only play 78s (Some had a nominal speed of 80, but don't worry about that), and nearly all of these are made of shellac. There were a few vinyl 78s in the 50s, which cannot be played with a steel needle, but in any case 1950s records are mostly too heavily recorded for a 101; better to stick to pre-1950 records.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

epigramophone wrote:... so the cat will have the best seat in the house. ...
As usual! :lol: