Request for Advice / Information on this Indian HMV

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Request for Advice / Information on this Indian HMV

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Hi all, so the below pics sent in by a major supplier of parts to the crapophone industry that thrives across the industrial belt outside of Delhi. If its indeed genuine, then its an absolute miracle it has survived thus far .
Any information on the model etc (assuming its genuine) would be greatly appreciated.

As always, sincere thanks.
sid
Attachments
20190329_115933.jpg
20190329_120004.jpg
IMG-20190328-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20190328-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20190328-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190328-WA0006.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Request for Advice / Information on this Indian HMV

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

SPOONMAN19 wrote:If its indeed genuine, then its an absolute miracle it has survived thus far.
Crap-o-phones are made with not even the smallest part coming from authentic external-horners, but by cannibalizing the most crappy portables ever made and joining them with stock leftovers and/or newly-made cheap components like false horns, false elbows, the infamous "SOUND BOX" brand soundbox etc.

What I see looks fairly original to me, although perhaps incomplete: I can't seem to see the speed regulator, but it may just be the awful picture. Also, the back bracket looks worryngly slanted to the right, and its back plate seems to be missing the top-right part. But again it may be the horrible picture.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

It is 100% correct. Congratulations!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Teak wrote:It is 100% correct. Congratulations!
Marco Gilardetti wrote:
SPOONMAN19 wrote:If its indeed genuine, then its an absolute miracle it has survived thus far.
Crap-o-phones are made with not even the smallest part coming from authentic external-horners, but by cannibalizing the most crappy portables ever made and joining them with stock leftovers and/or newly-made cheap components like false horns, false elbows, the infamous "SOUND BOX" brand soundbox etc.

What I see looks fairly original to me, although perhaps incomplete: I can't seem to see the speed regulator, but it may just be the awful picture. Also, the back bracket looks worryngly slanted to the right, and its back plate seems to be missing the top-right part. But again it may be the horrible picture.
The speed control is clearly visible in Pictures 1 and 2.

The slanting back bracket is probably due to the broken mounting already mentioned (Picture 4) and the loose bolt on the side still intact (Picture 6).

Two details worry me. Firstly the case appears to be oak, not teak, suggesting UK rather than Indian manufacture.
Secondly the HMV transfer is of a design not introduced until 1928, when this type of machine had already been discontinued in the UK. If the machine is indeed Indian this would be less of a problem, as open horn machines were still made there for several years after they ceased to be catalogued in the UK.

Having said all that, I would still give the machine the benefit of the doubt and buy it if the price was reasonable.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I'm not an expert on HMV, and my book on these machines isn't handy, but it just looks right and original to my eyes.

Best,

Garret

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Thanks All.

Marco - the fact that it has survived relatively unscathed in the industrial belt of North India for close to a century is in itself a miracle! Most of the original Indian horn machines I've seen either in big cities or in once upon a time key Colonial locations (Simla, Secunderabad, Wellington etc). Not to say that Indians elsewhere did'nt buy them! But rather the concentration of machines were more in such places. Am trying to get better snaps.

Epi - Thanks. Yes, that def looks like oak and not teak. Perhaps discontinued models were dumped in overseas markets? But you raise a very interesting question regarding the wood and the transfer.

Thanks again. If anybody can let me know the model, that would be great. The seller himself has no idea and started of asking 4000$. When I told him that there was no need to send me more pics or discuss anything further, he's now back-tracked and said he'll revert back. Wonder what the new figure-out-of-a-hat will be!