Please id this horn gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Please id this horn gramophone

Post by poodling around »

I like the look of this.

The 'pattern' on the front is so intriguing.

The seller states that it is 'all original'.

Thank you for any id information you can give.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-ORIGINAL ... rk:38:pf:0
Attachments
original.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Please id this horn gramophone

Post by epigramophone »

The faux inlay is typical of Swiss/German makers such as Beka, Paillard and Thorens. The Winner soundbox may not be original to the machine. It was made by Thorens, and you can just about identify their anchor trademark at the base of the stylus bar.

The image below shows a similar machine (No.310 Standard) in a 1914 Thorens catalogue.

Would I buy it? No. As a minimum it needs a new spring and a suitable horn, plus a contingency for other potential problems. It may well be cheaper to buy a similar machine complete and in working order than to take on this incomplete project.
Attachments
Image.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:The faux inlay is typical of Swiss/German makers such as Beka, Paillard and Thorens. The Winner soundbox may not be original to the machine. It was made by Thorens, and you can just about identify their anchor trademark at the base of the stylus bar.

The image below shows a similar machine (No.310 Standard) in a 1914 Thorens catalogue.

Would I buy it? No. As a minimum it needs a new spring and a suitable horn, plus a contingency for other potential problems. It may well be cheaper to buy a similar machine complete and in working order than to take on this incomplete project.

Extremely interesting and appreciated.

Thank you for such an informative and comprehensive reply epigramophone.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

For the current listing price I would buy it without a second thought. The horn shouldn't be too hard to find and a spring also should be not problem. The brake and speed control are common standard parts and could easily be upgraded to nicer condition if desired. Over all this would be an affordable way to get an attractive outside horn machine. Of course, a complete HMV would be nicer, but also much more expensive.

Andreas

poodling around
Victor V

alang wrote:For the current listing price I would buy it without a second thought. The horn shouldn't be too hard to find and a spring also should be not problem. The brake and speed control are common standard parts and could easily be upgraded to nicer condition if desired. Over all this would be an affordable way to get an attractive outside horn machine. Of course, a complete HMV would be nicer, but also much more expensive.

Andreas

I really appreciate your views / advice and very much see what you mean.

What you say is almost enough to make me want to join ebay !

As I mentioned earlier, I really do like the front design.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Were I you, I would have it on the bench already dismantled. I have been known to replace springs even when the originals worked, simply to get performance and a smoother operation from my motors.

The inlay is beautiful...like the American "off brand" machine, usually an upright pre-1925 disc machine, these Swiss phonographs are glorious to look at but get no collector's attention.

Just my two cents, from a very inexperienced standpoint...

Charles

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Were I you, I would have it on the bench already dismantled. I have been known to replace springs even when the originals worked, simply to get performance and a smoother operation from my motors.

The inlay is beautiful...like the American "off brand" machine, usually an upright pre-1925 disc machine, these Swiss phonographs are glorious to look at but get no collector's attention.

Charles
Thank you for your view VanEpsFan1914.

I have a question about this auction.

I am obviously missing something easy and fundamental - I am not a member of ebay if that helps excuse me.

Anyway, why does it appear that someone bid £ 52 on the 3rd March, then another person placed two lower bids on the 4th March?

Also, why did the person place two lower bids on the 4th March against him/her self ?

I hope that this question makes sense.
Attachments
ebay.JPG
ebay.JPG (49.96 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Were I you, I would have it on the bench already dismantled. I have been known to replace springs even when the originals worked, simply to get performance and a smoother operation from my motors.

Charles
I do the same thing, including new governor springs, for this reason and also the fact that the time to buy parts is while they're available... as in 10 years when you break a spring and need one they may not be. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

poodling around
Victor V

Sold for £145.99.

I wonder if someone on here bought it ?

It would be great to have detailed opinion from the owner.