Is this really a Decca Junior Trench Gramophone ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Is this really a Decca Junior Trench Gramophone ?

Post by poodling around »

I came across this old ebay machine and couldn't really find a match on the internet and it puzzles me.

The 'Juniors' shown on the internet seem mostly different, with only one centre locking catch for example.

Then there are other similar 'trench' models but with 'chrome and shiny' back dishes, not black like this one. Some have two front locking catches - but the catches are all different to this one.

Then I couldn't find another one with just two separate back lid hinges - they just had a continuous hinge all the way along.

The tone arm is also more 'inflated / bulbous' towards the dish end. Not the same as any of the others I have seen on google.

The reproducer I think was created in 1926, so this could be the year the gramophone was made but I thought it might be a later edition ?

Thank you very much for any id information / dating you can give.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-EXCE ... _cvip=true
Attachments
whatis.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Is this really a Decca Junior Trench Gramophone ?

Post by CarlosV »

It is a Decca machine. This type of reflex machine was made with several variants. This one looks all original, at least the parts that are visible.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It is a real Decca, but one from a decade or more after WWI.

poodling around
Victor V

estott wrote:It is a real Decca, but one from a decade or more after WWI.

Ah, thank you estott. So the soundbox could be original and the whole thing from the twenty's.

poodling around
Victor V

CarlosV wrote:It is a Decca machine. This type of reflex machine was made with several variants. This one looks all original, at least the parts that are visible.
I see. Thank you CarlosV.

So an original from the 1920's - because it had many variants I suppose that is why I could not find an exact match.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The machine pictured is a Decca, but it is not a Junior. The Junior is narrower than the regular Decca, and as a result it's sound reflector is roughly oval in shape rather than round, an easy identification feature. The soundbox on either version may very well carry the word "Junior".

The CLPGS has published an excellent guide to Decca portables, which deserves a place on any collector's bookshelf.
Attachments
Image.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:The machine pictured is a Decca, but it is not a Junior. The Junior is narrower than the regular Decca, and as a result it's sound reflector is roughly oval in shape rather than round, an easy identification feature. The soundbox on either version may very well carry the word "Junior".

The CLPGS has published an excellent guide to Decca portables, which deserves a place on any collector's bookshelf.

Very good. So it isn't a Junior.

Thank you epigramophone.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I have a Junior and it says so behind the horn on the black background. Very light little machine it is. Neil

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

epigramophone wrote:The CLPGS has published an excellent guide to Decca portables, which deserves a place on any collector's bookshelf.
This booklet discouraged me at first as I saw it was only 20-something pages. In "normal" books by page 24 you may expect to find the title in bold characters, the index and perhaps a short preface. However, the late Graham Barber warmly suggested this book, and this kind of made me reconsider it as I really trusted Graham Barbers' opinion. Is it really worth an international purchase?

Also, how can these books be purchased by mail? On the CLPGS website their books can be selected and also paid for, but I couldn't find any trace of shipping fares, where I could type in the shipping address, and so on...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Once you get to the Checkout page, you can enter your address and and see the postage options based on your address.