Colonial HMV Portable Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Colonial HMV Portable Gramophone

Post by poodling around »

I wonder, is this really an extremely rare Colonial HMV Portable Gramophone ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-HMV- ... SwG4pcgPDj
Attachments
col2.JPG
col.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Colonial HMV Portable Gramophone

Post by CarlosV »

poodling around wrote:I wonder, is this really an extremely rare Colonial HMV Portable Gramophone ?
It may be uncommon, but it is extremely unattractive and plain, even if in good shape. In this condition, it does not belong in any collection, and if repaired, i.e., recovered with new rexine, it would look artificial - I never saw any really good rexine restoration, the original patterns and colors do not exist anymore.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I assume the 94 is an overseas model that looks very similar to the home market model 97. The seller of this appalling condition machine has optimistically copied some of his description from an older eBay listing for a 'teak' 94. The starting price suggests that he thinks his rexine junker is of similar value.

Original listing:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-HMV-No94-C ... 3178663608

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

jamiegramo wrote:I assume the 94 is an overseas model that looks very similar to the home market model 97. The seller of this appalling condition machine has optimistically copied some of his description from an older eBay listing for a 'teak' 94. The starting price suggests that he thinks his rexine junker is of similar value.

Original listing:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-HMV-No94-C ... 3178663608
Attachments
a94.JPG
a94a.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The HMV94 was a late 1930's export model based upon the British HMV97. It would originally have been equipped with a record storage tray, which appears to have gone missing. In India the machine cost 90 Rupees when finished in Brown leathercloth, and 100 Rupees in polished wood.

An outer canvas cover was available as an accessory. It looks as though the original owner of this scruffy and overpriced example never bought one :( .

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The 94 also had a double-spring motor, which made the machine a lot heavier than the 97. Here's mine....

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote:The 94 also had a double-spring motor, which made the machine a lot heavier than the 97. Here's mine....
Has that really got a double spring motor ? doesn't look deep enough , would be great if you could take the motor board out and photo the motor :)

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Oh ye of little faith! As you can see from the last photo, the motor is only about half an inch deeper than the internal horn.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I find it interesting how some of the colonial HMV portables had double-spring motors because I can't think of any home market model that did.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Very interesting. I learned something new, which is why I like this forum and APS. Most of the 2 spring tropical HMV models I have seen have the ubiquitous #32 (Burton) motors. I had seen single spring HMV pillar & plate motors, but this is the first 2 spring HMV portable P&P motor I am aware of. It's seems legit to me.
Best regards ... AZ*