Restoration of Indian HMV 118 recently completed -w/ photos

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Restoration of Indian HMV 118 recently completed -w/ ph

Post by AZ* »

Thanks for the feedback.

With respect to the brake, I was suspicious about that also, given the tattered state and questionable heritage of the machine. After seeing the photos that epigramphone kindly supplied, I discovered that I actually have a surplus brake like that one in my spare parts stash from a junk machine. All it needs is a new leather, which are available.

With respect to the latch/catch/"drawbolt", that was the one item that probably contributed the most to the lengthy delay in completing this project. It was sort of like Goldilocks or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." I purchased several different latches, but none of them was a perfect match: too big, too small or too ugly. I already had the "Bad" which came with the machine. It was missing the top part which had been replaced by an unmatched part nailed on. The lower part, in addition to being worn and rusty, was damaged -- mashed and bent in multiple places. See photo below. Even the HMV 102 latch that I bought as a potential replacement in addition to being the wrong color, was not the same style as the original HMV 118 latch. Several different styles were used on the 102s according to Cooper's book. Who knows, using that one might have offended some keen-eyed rivet counter. Until I find the "correct" latch or someone offers me one, I will be content with the machine in its current imperfect condition.

Carlos, I would be interested in learning about the style of latch on your machine. My original latch is like the one shown on the machine on this website:

http://grammophon-platten.de/page.php?550
IMG_8576.JPG
And yes, poodling, the car in some of the photos is from the 1970's. It's a 1971 Chevy Nova that I purchased new. It still runs. The greenish color is due to the fluorescent lights in the garage. It's actually a gold color.
IMG_8467.JPG
IMG_8467.JPG (83.27 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
Best regards ... AZ*

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Very interesting and a marvellous car.

I also like the huge cactus in the background - which seems to have holes in it which nesting birds may have made perhaps.

It is a lovely photo and I am very glad I saw it.

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Not sure, if this helps but its a blurry snap of the lock from my 118. I only recently bought it and the machine is in India so hence only have this pc at the moment. Once I collect the machine, can send you better quality pics.
Attachments
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (117.93 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (22.93 KiB) Viewed 1058 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Seriously, thanks for preserving history, both with your gramophone and your car. Even collectors are getting discouraged and thinking everyone under 30 is a dweeb and doesn't care about this "old stuff" and now it is the older folks actively destroying most of these items.

I can't tell you how many running antique cars I have seen re-motored and hot-rodified by the old dotards around my home town. Same goes with phonographs--no one messes with them because junking or repurposing them is literally too much work.

Thanks for fixing up two amazing pieces.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

That is the standard lid catch found on the earlier 102s (up to the late 1930s), and also on the very last 101s, It has a lid piece stamped out of a single piece of metal with a turned up hook for the wire loop, and a cupids-bow shape to the top. However, I have a c. 1935 102 on which the top is straight, not cupids-bow -- and guess what, it's from India!

(By 1939 (I am not sure when the change was made) a revised catch was used, with a hooked metal stamping engaging a slotted lid-piece, and this was single action. You raised the thumb-piece, which both relieved the tension and positively disengaged the hook from the lid-piece. Initially the thumb-piece was linked to the 'hook' by wire, but later by flat links. How many rivets does that make?)

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Again, thanks for the info regarding the lock/latch.

poodling - Yes, woodpeckers reside in those holes when they aren't tapping on the vent pipes on the roof of my house at 6 am!

Spoon - Thanks for the photo. That appears to be the correct lock/latch for my HMV 118 also. I am sure you will enjoy your machine once you get it!

VanEps - I appreciate the comments about the gramophone and car even if the car is off-topic. I find it's disppointing to look at what appears to be a vintage car only to discover it's just a shell containing mostly modern components. I've tried to keep mine as close to original as possible down to its original color (repainted), straight 6, three on the tree, no power steering and non-power drum brakes front and rear.

Oedipus - I appreciate the insights. The later catch you describe sounds like the one on my HMV 113 which was also in fairly rough shape when I acquired it in 2005. That one only took me about a year and a half to restore.
Best regards ... AZ*