HMV lumiere 510

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nigel
Victor Jr

Re: HMV lumiere 510

Post by Nigel »

Teak wrote:I did spend far less than your budget on both machines combined. Just wait. The most pristine 511 should not be more than 600-800.
I will certainly keep this in mind. I'm not in a rush. I got A HMV 101 to keep me entertained!thanks

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

The problem with the 511 and the 461 is that although really pretty , they are both very difficult to sell in the UK , they were only made to use up spare Lumiere cabinets , I have had many over the years , all the 461s were sold to a collector who converted them back to Lumiere 460 models , having had the castings for the diaphragm holder made and the diaphragms ! i wonder where they are now ? 511s sell for £200 here if you are lucky or less
Attachments
ahmv511.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Whereas Lumiere 510s were £963 in 2004 £1200 in 2010 so in 2019 ?
Attachments
abon.JPG
abon1.JPG

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

soundgen wrote:511s sell for £200 here if you are lucky or less
It appears that soundgen is spot on with his knowledge of the UK gramophone market. Only 2 bidders for this 511, and it sold in line with soundgen's estimate.
Attachments
HMV511.JPG
Best regards ... AZ*

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

There is a great problem quoting prices realised in the UK on Fleabay or at Bonhams for rare items like a 510.

Firstly, the items shown were not in good condition. This has always been a great bugbear of mine when official publications list prices but never connect the condition of the item to its price.

It's a misleading practice. A decent 510 with unmarked diaphragm is like Hens Teeth. If you can find one under 2000 GBP you're doing well. The one on Fleabay recently had been abysmally refinished. How many people outside of the few prospective buyers with the funds to buy it knew that? The seller ignored this fact.

A 511 is a different prospect. Yes they are nowhere near as desirable but a pristine example in mahogany might cost you 450 GBP and not the 200, the dismal oak example sold for.

Condition and aesthetics as always is everything.

There are also other examples at the top end of the price scale which haven't been cited. A magnificent 510 in mahogany sold at Christies about 10 years ago for over 4000 GBP. Admittedly the price was a freak but I've seen the machine and it's the only example I've ever seen that would be good enough for me. It's not for sale sadly.