Please help with identifying this motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Please help with identifying this motor

Post by FellowCollector »

I'm reaching out to my friends across the pond and to anyone else who is willing to help me. I purchased a European disc phonograph that has no decal, ID plate or any other identification as to manufacturer and this is the motor. The motor is not working and since my expertise and collecting interest is primarily with American phonographs I've no clue what company made it and whether the motor is complete. If anyone can help me with identifying this motor I would be very grateful. In the motor casting there appears to be a tower trademark with the letters "E" on one side of the tower and "H" on the other side of the tower. The tower appears to have a likeness to the Eiffel Tower so perhaps it's French made but who knows. Again any information and help is appreciated on this. The gears appear to be in fine condition. The spring is likely unhooked but I've not taken this apart to confirm what's going on with the motor.

Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4743.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Please help with identifying this motor

Post by JerryVan »

I'm thinking that the odd looking post just can't be right. Willing to bet, there was another spring barrel on that post that was deleted upon the breaking of a spring.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

That's exactly what I thought as well, Jerry. I pointed that out to the prior owner who works on all kinds of clocks and spring motors and he insisted that the motor is complete but I still believe there's a spring barrel missing. I tried searching online and I could not find anything exactly like this motor.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

That is one weird looking motor, and the post sticking out from the casting looks off. Can you share a picture of the tower in the casting? There were a number of off brand manufacturers in Europe, including in France.

Best,

Garret

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Garret wrote: Can you share a picture of the tower in the casting?
Thanks for asking, Garret. The trademark is in the turntable casting not the motor casting as I had indicated above. I've included a picture of the turntable and a close up of the tower and "E" on the right side. Perhaps it's not supposed to be the Eiffel tower depicted and instead it's a monument of some sort but the "E" is very clear. I thought I could see the letter "H" on the left side but I don't think there's anything there on that side.

Again, any help with identifying this is sincerely appreciated. I'll try to get some pictures of the entire phonograph later on.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_4745.JPG
IMG_4746.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That is not the Eiffel Tower, it is some sort of Obelisk shaped monument. Probably the mark of the casting shop which made the turntable.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Probably imagining it, but if you rotate the symbol a little then it looks like a fibre needle connected to a sound box 'connecting end'. :?:

FellowCollector
Victor IV

A friend of mine and I did some phonograph trading recently which is how I came into possession of the European disc phonograph that I'm trying to get information on and get working again.

BUT...the REAL reason that I wanted to do some trading with my friend is that he had a gorgeous oak Herzog #813 disc record cabinet that I wanted! This cabinet is one of the more elusive of the Herzog record cabinets and I was able to pry it loose from him in a trade. I LOVE the lines on this particular Herzog cabinet and the bow front. I've seen precious few of this particular record cabinet for sale over the years. Back in 2012 one of these cabinets realized a thousand dollars without its feet! https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/13 ... -two-doors The flash on my camera make the finish look sort of orange color but in real life it's a very nice oak finish. I applied some furniture oil too. ;)

Anyway, I'll try to post some pictures of the phonograph itself with hope that someone can identify it.

Doug
Attachments
Oak Herzog 813 cabinet front.jpg
IMG_4755 (2).JPG
IMG_4760 (2).JPG
Last edited by FellowCollector on Sat May 11, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:That is not the Eiffel Tower, it is some sort of Obelisk shaped monument. Probably the mark of the casting shop which made the turntable.
I suspect you're right. Here's a cast-iron table with the same trademark -- https://rubell.wordpress.com/2008/06/16 ... storation/

OrthoFan

FellowCollector
Victor IV

So a Google search of this trademark resulted in several items with the trademark. All of which are described in German language. Therefore, unless someone can come up with something contradictory, I'm going to conclude that the phonograph I have is German made. I'm hoping to provide pictures of the phonograph soon.

Doug