The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm 
Victor I
OrthoFan wrote:
I believe it was the HMV-31A (Colonial model) that was fitted with the #5a sound box and corresponding tonearm -- http://www.radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio- ... MV_31A.htm
Attachment:
1Capture.JPG

OrthoFan

The seller listed this as "1927." We talked about it, yet he still insisted on this date. I think I'd be prepared to tell people this is a 1935 machine. It seems like it's the very tail end of the Colonials, no?
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm 
Victor I
I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:55 pm 
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
SteveM wrote:
I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!

The main market for these very late open horn machines was India, a poor country without a reliable mains electricity supply.
Their simple wooden cases lowered the cost of production compared with the contemporary table and cabinet models, making them relatively affordable.
Even the EMI Archives do not have a complete set of Indian machine catalogues, so the chances of seeing a period advertisement are minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm 
Victor I
I took the HMV 31a to a 20s-themed charity gala a few nights ago, paired with a 102. Mic’d up, they sound pretty similar. It was so nice using two orthophonic machines with auto brakes again. It was a huge hit.

Attachments:
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 50 times ]

P. G. Wodehouse