hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

Post by gramophone-georg »

I may actually have a chance to get back on my 32 project soon. I have a very heavy duty cardboard shipping tube that's about the same diameter as the horn elbow outlet. My "in my head" plan for this is to graduate this down along the tube to the same diameter as the tonearm connector on about a 4' length. For going around corners inside the cabinet, I am considering pie cutting the tube, and using Columbia's "Plano Flex" design on the outsides of the corners.

Thoughts?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:05 pm I may actually have a chance to get back on my 32 project soon. I have a very heavy duty cardboard shipping tube that's about the same diameter as the horn elbow outlet. My "in my head" plan for this is to graduate this down along the tube to the same diameter as the tonearm connector on about a 4' length. For going around corners inside the cabinet, I am considering pie cutting the tube, and using Columbia's "Plano Flex" design on the outsides of the corners.

Thoughts?
I'd have thought carboard would be too sound absorbing to be a very efficient conduit, however, I believe it is possible to use incomplete/damaged tonearms to create a suitable conduit, a narrow bore HMV/victor would get the initial bend, joined to a section of a tonarm with a large base, like a Gilbert should get the other section

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Instead of cardboard to replace the tin tube, why not try schedule 40 plastic plumbing pipe?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Curt A wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:02 pm Instead of cardboard to replace the tin tube, why not try schedule 40 plastic plumbing pipe?
Too difficult to slice and reglue for the correct taper. The cardboard tube I have in mind is super hard but Alex could be right. Maybe I will spray the insides with shellac.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 pm
Curt A wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:02 pm Instead of cardboard to replace the tin tube, why not try schedule 40 plastic plumbing pipe?
Too difficult to slice and reglue for the correct taper. The cardboard tube I have in mind is super hard but Alex could be right. Maybe I will spray the insides with shellac.
Just don't use carpet like someone did with that poor 157!

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Steve wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 pm
Just don't use carpet like someone did with that poor 157!
:lol:

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I've just started another thread on an E.M.G Mk VIII with a Frank Darrieulat case.
But here is a picture of the cladding on the cast iron conduit. I understand the idea is to reduce any resonance at this vital part of the acoustic system.
Attachments
Darrieulat-emg-viii-9.jpg

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

I have an HMV 31 which I've dampened the conduit on similar to earlier comments by wrapping it tightly with latex tubing, then a thick layer of fleece wrapped tightly over that. All static joints had a good helping of glue, and moving joints had a generous serving of grease to make everything as airtight as possible.

This made the sound fairly less tinny, but there's still the thin metal horn to account for. On my long term to do list is fashioning a jacket to fit over the horn to dampen it... one of those days :)

It sounds good with both the Meltrope II & III, certainly much better than a 102. Nothing earth shattering however. I use it mostly to play Pathé records with an adaptor

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Ahmed wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:05 am I have an HMV 31 which I've dampened the conduit on similar to earlier comments by wrapping it tightly with latex tubing, then a thick layer of fleece wrapped tightly over that. All static joints had a good helping of glue, and moving joints had a generous serving of grease to make everything as airtight as possible.

This made the sound fairly less tinny, but there's still the thin metal horn to account for. On my long term to do list is fashioning a jacket to fit over the horn to dampen it... one of those days :)

It sounds good with both the Meltrope II & III, certainly much better than a 102. Nothing earth shattering however. I use it mostly to play Pathé records with an adaptor
Have you tried putting your EMG horn on it yet?, the Wilson horns, and subsequently all EMG horns were made to fit to HMV outlets, mine lives permanently with a Mk IX horn on it and it's a great sounding machine.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:19 am
Have you tried putting your EMG horn on it yet?, the Wilson horns, and subsequently all EMG horns were made to fit to HMV outlets, mine lives permanently with a Mk IX horn on it and it's a great sounding machine.
I've not tried that, it'd look hilarious on the 31 I think :D Toying around with the idea of building a horn for it over spring, using carved styrofoam for the mold. Nothing massive, more of a glorified Edison Cygnet horn sort of size & shape