Pathéphone identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Pathéphone identification

Post by nostalgia »

I am happy to be aboard this forum, I understand now I should have been here years ago.
I hope I not annoy everyone in here with posting too much now.;) I again need some help:
Anyone who know this gramophone? Worth having, and if so...what would you give?
All I know is that it is a French(?) Pathéphone...
And yes, I am in touch with someone who want sell it.
The asking price is 400 Euro.
Normally I only look at HMV machines over here in Europe (for the lack of knowledge), but when a horn model shows up, I stop up...
Attachments
3 (2).jpg
2 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Pathéphone identification

Post by PeterF »

I think it's really nice looking, and interesting. Unlikely that it's by Pathé, although it is configured for play of vertical cut records.

At that price, you can't really go wrong, either.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Definitely not Pathé, the manufacturer is on the white celluloid disc at front left - a pic of that would enable people on the board to maybe tell what model it is.

So for example, just a guess, if its a T with a flying bird, then its Triumphon.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

The celluloid disc is a bit worn but it certainly looks like the Triumphon trademark, you can see the top curves of the 't'. This is a German maker similar to the Parlophon shown below (although it's motor board is a different colour to the rest of the wood so I wonder if it belongs to another machine). I like these pressed wood cases they have character and are decorative.

The original paint looks good on the horn of the machine you have been offered and is a really nice colour.

It may be helpful to remember that Pathé and many other French machines always have the back bracket mounted off centre so that the tonearm tracks the record better. The machine you have been offered follows the Victor/Gramo Co. example that the back bracket 'looks' better mounted in the middle.
Attachments
image.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Triumphon trademark on needle tin.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.69 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for all help, detective work like this is really interesting, particularly when you because of your knowledge have such good inputs. I will ask the seller, if he can take a closer photo of the celluloid disc. The seller calls the gramophone for a Pathéphone, but also have spent this name wrongly in our correspondence, so likely...the seller is himself confused about the origin of the gramophone.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Now it has been confirmed that the gramophone is a Triumphon. Quite rightly it wears the Triumphon mark on the celluloid label on top of the phone. Thank you:)

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

For 400 euro I would not think twice, because it may be gone when you're done thinking. Hope you get it.

Andreas

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks:) I appreciate your valuable comment and opinion. I am new to collecting, and it is a steep and rough learning curve.