Amazing to look at, BUT is it a good or bad horn gramophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Amazing to look at, BUT is it a good or bad horn gramoph

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote:I don't think that the mark just above the decorative plate is a redundant winding handle hole, it's too small. It looks to me like a nail has been banged in, possibly because the plate rattled? The circular marks around it certainly suggest use of a hammer.
no it's where an original speed control came out !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

That makes sense, as the present motor looks lost in the depths of the case. The original motor would have been much larger.

If the seller had been using the machine as he claimed, why is the soundbox pictured on the wrong side of the record?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

After communicating with this seller, I understand he knows less about gramophones, and just took some pics before advertising it online. He took photos of the machine itself, and also the metal ornament, and the small filled hole close to it. It was never in his intention to fool anyone, I had to explain to him what additional photos to take, where the soundbox was located etc. He had purchased the gramophone many years ago because he felt it looked good. The gramophone most probably had been refurbished, repainted, and received a new motor, before being put on sale at the time he bought it. Over here, most people are happy, if the motor is new or not when etc..as long as the gramophone looks nice and is working. The gramophone had been only occasionally used on his holiday home/cottage.
He was very friendly, and wished me luck in finding a different gramophone.