Anyone recognizing this gramophone/phonograph logo?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Anyone recognizing this gramophone/phonograph logo?

Post by nostalgia »

This one is for sale...but I dont know. I am not good at spotting all fakes yet.
The horn looks old, and the woodwork looks rough(?), but I anyway decided to upload the photo,
maybe there is something to learn for others too...
There is a logo on the side, and it makes me curious, if it is a logo at all.
Attachments
12.jpg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Anyone recognizing this gramophone/phonograph logo?

Post by Sidewinder »

Hello

You mean the brass triangle. I think its just a decorative piece. For my tastes, and by the 1 photo, this gramophone is qualitatively better than the others you were looking at. I prefer it when the pieces are all original - Do you have other photo's?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I thought it was a logo, but I see now it is a metal/brass triangle. Yes, I also like this horn model, and if it is genuine it is interesting to me. The woodwork looks rustic, but that's maybe how some models are? I have asked for more photos, but upload the oness I have,even if these last two photos are very similar to the one so far uploaded.
To me, it looks like the upper lid is not closing completely, but I will also ask about this
And..., I have not purchased the German Triumphon (yet), but this also has to do with available funds....
Still, it could be interesting to try to reason out if this machine here, is of any value.
I will ask the seller for machine and soundbox photos.
Attachments
14.jpg
13.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

"Rustic" is in the eye of the beholder: the cabinet may not be ornate, but it looks elegant enough.

The motor board may not be closing entirely because of warping; there are ways to remedy that. Good luck!

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Your final picture shows a small button just below the motor board. This operates a spring loaded catch to release the motor board.
At the risk of stating the obvious, check that it is operating correctly.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I constantly worry about India fakes, when watching gramophones online. So far I understand no one here is seeing this particular phonograph as a fake, when watching these first photos. I still wait for more photos, the seller has not answered my requests yet. Will love to see more photos, reason out manufacturer etc. And, Oh yes...I need help on this, but hope everyone can learn something from this. Spotting fakes is a constant work when collecting, and as a newbie in collecting I know I am vulnerable. I also hope others can learn from this, education is always a necessity.
Thank you for also mentioning the obvious, that was not that obvious to me...it could be an issue with the locker closing the lid that is causing the gap we see on the photo. After hopefully receiving some photos of the soundbox and motor etc, (depending on the seller reading his emails), I will look forward to the forum members opinons and reflections on this phonograph. If it is worthy of buying, manufacturer, if it is the real deal or a frankenphone etc.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

From the pictures so far the machine appears genuine, although the brass embellishments may be later additions.

As always, in the absence of any name on the case, any names or numbers on the soundbox and the motor will help with identification.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I wait for more photos, but while waiting...I am tempted to ask what you would pay for a green HMV 102 portable, if any of you collect portables, with soundbox no 16. I dare not upload more new photos now, (oh yes...I have photos of this green HMV 102)....but I feel I am almost hacking the forum with my posts now;) But, since it is not too much activity in this section right now, maybe I still could ask this question?..while waiting for hopefully more photos of the mysterious horn phonograph. And yes, I can show photos, if some of you want it, or even the mods say it is okay.;) I don't yet have a portable, and of what I have read so far, I sense a nice HMV 102, could be a good choice.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Like this one, perhaps? https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 6f00d93869

What a beauty!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, very similar, I saw this saleroom model a few days ago too, a real beauty:)) The one I look at has soundbox no. 16, and I guess not too many good looking green 102's with soundbox no 16 are around today, at least not up for sale? The one I can buy is not as pristine as the saleroom model, but it is pretty close, with a broken carrying handle though, but they are easy to change. The salesprice is 150 euro, possibly to be negotiated.
Attachments
2.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg