What is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

What is this?

Post by nostalgia »

I am new to collecting, but now I am tired of looking online at Columbia portable phonographs during the last 3 hours. After looking at hundreds of photos, I still can't find this model. The closest I have come is a Edison P-1 Portable, it looks similar...but this is obviously a Columbia.
Anyone who recognizes it?
Thanks...a lot.)
Attachments
Columbia whatever.jpg

fmblizz
Victor IV

Re: What is this?

Post by fmblizz »

doing a Google search it looks very much like a Columbia Vivatonal GRAFONOLA which were a UK brand I believe.

blizz

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Link? I tried google this Vivatonal, but could not find a similar one with the crank close to the turntable? Anyone?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

You're right, with some differences involving the hardware, the speed adjustment knob, etc., it's very close to the Edison P1 -- https://www.intertique.com/EdisonNeedleCutID.html -- which as noted in the article was actually produced by a company in Wisconsin that manufactured other brand portables.

As with Victor, Columbia in the United States outsourced the production of their portable phonographs starting in the early 1930s. I've seen other Columbia portables from the mid to later 1930s that were nearly identical to those sold under the Birch/Waters Conley, etc. brand names.

I've no clue as to the model or model number, or if it even had one.

OrthoFan

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

I was basically comparing the brand/tag.... seem to be exactly the same an note the MADE IN ENGLAND..

Blizz
Attachments
vivatonal.jpg
vivatonal.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

fmblizz wrote:I was basically comparing the brand/tag.... seem to be exactly the same an note the MADE IN ENGLAND..

Blizz
A similar style "notes" logo was also used on the US models, but those don't say "made in England."
2Capture.JPG
I tried enlarging the photo you provided but it's too blurry to read --
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.48 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
OrthoFan

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for all help, interesting reading. And yes, the photo is blurry. The the vital question, would you say this is a collectable phonograph? It is up for sale, at $ 100

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

nostalgia wrote:Thanks for all help, interesting reading. And yes, the photo is blurry. The the vital question, would you say this is a collectable phonograph? It is up for sale, at $ 100
For $100*** I might go for it, if I could do an onsite inspection to verify that the motor works, and that the case, itself, is in good condition with no major scuffs or tears in the covering. If it's being sold as-found, the motor will probably need to be cleaned and re-greased, and the sound box (reproducer) will also need an overhaul with fresh gaskets.

Judging from the design, it should probably perform pretty well once restored, though probably not up to the standards of the earlier Plano-Reflex models, or the larger deluxe Columbia Viva-Tonal 160 series models.

OrthoFan

*** I'm weighing that against what a hundred bucks covers in my part of the country --

-- Lunch for two (with drinks) in a moderately priced San Francisco restaurant.
-- Dinner for two (no drinks) in a moderately priced San Francisco restaurant.
-- One day's worth of rent for a San Francisco one-bedroom apartment, now averaging $3,000.00/month.
-- One month's worth of cable/internet service.
-- 100 candy bars (if Walgreens is having a sale...)

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

OrthoFan: Your answer is appreciated, and I had to smile about your alternative options on how to spend the $ 100..;) Great:))