HMV Portable identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV Portable identification

Post by nostalgia »

I could possibly buy this HMV portable. The seller has listed it as HMV 100, but to me, of what I have learned so far during the last few months, this looks like a 101 to me. However, were 101 made in grey colour? I have not been able to sort that out online, and since I yet don't own any gramophone books ( yes, two books are in the post) I ask for some help. If it is a 101, would you say it is rare and what would you advice as an approximate acceptable purchase price? In advance, thank you.
Attachments
HMV 101...or.jpg
HMV 101...or.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Last edited by nostalgia on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: HMV Portable identification

Post by soundgen »

yes a 101 and the colour is not common

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for the very quick reply. Yes, I had never seen this color on a 101 before..

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I hope it is not this overpriced example which remains unsold on UK eBay after several months of listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-Leather ... SwqUBcd71s

I bought my Grey 101 on eBay about five years ago for £128, which was lucky find and a bargain. All it needed was a good clean. The Grey 101 is rare because it proved unpopular and sold less than 800 units. Even so, I would consider £200 to be quite enough to pay.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for more inputs. No, it is not this Ebay ( overpriced) model. The asking price is 140 euro, which I guess is acceptable and very close to the price you paid (epigramophone), since it is a rare gramophone. I will see if I can get in touch with the owner, and talk to him directly. Less than 800 units, vow..very rare breed indeed.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As far as one call tell from the picture, this appears to be a good machine at a very good price. I hope you get it.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I bought this grey model, I was lucky to get hold of the seller personally on phone after googling a lot:;).... and will collect it next week. I got it for £ 140. I will for sure use some petrol to get it back home, but can combine that with a day in the sun;) Just the excitement of picking up a new gramophone, is for sure worth a 350 km car trip. I will post more photos of the gramophone when I get it, if anyone want to see more details. I am quite excited to see in what shape it is since the seller was very friendly, saying it had belonged to his parents, and also said he could not really see any marks on it.

Update: I collected the grey 101 yesterday from the post office. I just now have unpacked it, and it is beoynd my dreams. It looks excellent, pristine, and can hardly have been used much, and have also been kept in a good and dry environment. No rust, handle is near perfect, soundboox excellent, etc. I upload some pics so you can have a look, since I know good looking copies of this model is pretty rare to find or have. Yes, I know I have been, and am also very grateful for having been exceptionally lucky in my findings during the last few weeks...

Update: Inigo: It is true, I also never get tired of looking at these beautiful HMV portable gramophones. When the metal also is shining, I am done...Sorry to hear about you experience with the grey model though, but good to know you still have two 101..:)
Attachments
juni2019 030.JPG
juni2019 029.JPG
juni2019 028.JPG
juni2019 027.JPG
juni2019 026.JPG
juni2019 022.JPG
juni2019 021.JPG
Last edited by nostalgia on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I added an update, and wanted share some photos for those having an interest in this HMV portable, and also of course for those forum members who earlier commented on this purchase. Please look at the previous posting for details.
-Nostalgia-
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I have a French HMV portabl I believe 101 … I keep forgetting but nowhere is there a tag of any kind and I do not even see a hole where one might have been but from photos I've looked at in 'the HMV book' I think it is 101 but basic black.Neil

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I once owned one same as yours, and maybe similar serial no. It was left to me by a then friend, who later, after a misfortune in our friendship, asked me to return it. That had a breakage in the pot metal neck of the soundbox, which I repaired, as the usual maintenance (cleaning and refreshing the motor, etc). It works very well and is very attractive. 101s are great, even the common black ones... The colour is an extra for more appeal. But I find this model one of the finest portables, very elegant lines and beautiful machine.
I currently own two of them, a common black 101-G and a brown crocodile 101-C with the old style motor no.401, round plates and no cover. I never get tired of looking at them!
Inigo