Blue HMV 102 - Original Finish?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Re: Blue HMV 102 - Original Finish?

Post by Garret »

Thanks very much for enlarging that other image. I can't do it on this computer. Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

soundgen wrote:
I think you are right , if you look at the Decal from Worthpoint and yours they are the identical background shape except yours is darker , the patch matches exactly even the strange slope on the right of the transfer

I agree, that certainly seems to be the answer!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

If you look at the bottom of the decal in Garrett's photo, the black seems to be rubbing through to blue. If this was blue over a black case this wouldn't happen- the black is on top of the blue, e.g., it's the decal.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote:If you look at the bottom of the decal in Garrett's photo, the black seems to be rubbing through to blue. If this was blue over a black case this wouldn't happen- the black is on top of the blue, e.g., it's the decal.
yes ! I wonder if there is a way to reverse this darkening ?

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Well, I figured that the price was low enough that it was worth a gamble, and I can recoup most of my funds in parts if it turns out to be a dud. Here goes nothing.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

You could always remove that transfer altogether, and replace it with a new one. They are excellent!

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Definitely blue, the 'LB102E' means its blue, and the 'E' means it's a late one (1949 onwards) with a flush motor board (see His Master's Gramophone page 208). The chromium corner shields also mean it is coloured, not black.

As to the strange black surround to the transfer, I have never seen one like this before, but can only assume the outer part of the transfer (usually transparent) has darkened with age. Leave well alone, don't attempt to replace it.

'Made in Great Britain' was standard on these late models, whether for export or not. As far as I know, the record tray was never available post war.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I think I'd leave it too. 1949 is super late for a windup gramophone and I'd leave it like it is. Cool machine, by the way.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Oedipus wrote:Definitely blue, the 'LB102E' means its blue, and the 'E' means it's a late one (1949 onwards) with a flush motor board (see His Master's Gramophone page 208). The chromium corner shields also mean it is coloured, not black.

As to the strange black surround to the transfer, I have never seen one like this before, but can only assume the outer part of the transfer (usually transparent) has darkened with age. Leave well alone, don't attempt to replace it.

'Made in Great Britain' was standard on these late models, whether for export or not. As far as I know, the record tray was never available post war.
:shock: There is a coding scheme for the case colors on the data plates?

Garret

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Garret wrote: There is a coding scheme for the case colors on the data plates?

Garret
101 De-Luxe models were: SB - Blue Crocodile, BC - Brown Crocodile, GC - Grey Crocodile, RL - Red Leather.

101 Standard models were: R - Red, V - Green, G - Grey, LB - Blue, C - Black

102s used the same codes as the standard 101s