Blue HMV 102 - Original Finish?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Blue HMV 102 - Original Finish?

Post by Garret »

Hello all,

I have been quietly looking for a nice HMV 102 for a while - preferably in blue or red. I recently came across one and am thinking of buying it, but am concerned about the color of the handle and the black area around the decal. Is the color original, or is there a way to know? Judging from the screw in one of the pictures, the machine has definitely been tinkered with, but the seller says that it runs well. I would love to hear your thoughts! Also would this machine originally have come with a record tray?

Thanks so much!

Garret

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Blue HMV 102 - Original Finish?

Post by soundgen »

It is blue , the needle pot is blue ! yes decal is very odd though looks like a black interior painted over why that would be is a puzzle , I was always told these 102s were "export models" with no pad in the lid and the motor board flush with the edge of the box , I don't think I've seen a coloured export model in the UK they are usually black , but this link indicates they were available here

http://www.graham-ophones.co.uk/hmv-red ... 4581320882

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

"Made in Gt.Britain" below the trade mark confirms this to be an export model. Home market 102's do not have this wording.
The carrying handle is probably a replacement. Better replacements in blue are usually available on eBay at reasonable cost.

Like Soundgen, I have no explanation for the treatment of the lid interior. I am surprised that it got past quality control.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

According to the "His Masters' Gramophone" book, most of the 102Es were exported, but the rest were presumably available in England. I have one in red, which was purchased new in London in 1948 as a 21st birthday present to a relative. It too has "Made in Great Britain" under the HMV transfer in the lid. The blue one in the post was made in 1949, but the odd treatment of the transfer remains a mystery! Perhaps the factory was running short of blue lids, and decided to cover a black one, leaving the original transfer in place? Very much a "bodge" and I too am surprised it got past quality control! In answer to the question regarding the record tray, they were not supplied as standard by this time, but may still have been available as an "extra".

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

soundgen wrote:It is blue , the needle pot is blue ! yes decal is very odd though looks like a black interior painted over why that would be is a puzzle , I was always told these 102s were "export models" with no pad in the lid and the motor board flush with the edge of the box , I don't think I've seen a coloured export model in the UK they are usually black , but this link indicates they were available here

http://www.graham-ophones.co.uk/hmv-red ... 4581320882
I'm not sure they're export models. I've certainly seen a number of 102s without the pad and flush motor boards and they have all been very late 102s, the last ones ever made.

Whatever the provenance of this one is I don't like the appearance of the decal in the lid. Even if it's right, you'd always have a problem convincing anyone if you ever came to sell it. It appears to be a blue covering over black but who really knows?

If Christopher sees this he will no doubt chime in.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Was the blue put on as a stain, or a paint? Do you all think the factory could have done it like this? I'm interested, but also don't want to inadvertently buy a tinkered with black one!

Many thanks,

Garret

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Could it be a heavily oxidized decal?

Here is another example with a similar looking decal: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1783334580

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

No, I think it's the same material as the rest of the case, i.e. leathercloth. You can see a cut mark top right above the transfer. I honestly cannot believe this was done in the factory, HMV were very particular about their reputation as top quality merchandisers. Many of the 102s have a shadow round the transfer where the clear surround has discoloured, but nothing as obvious as this! Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying this machine, that bodge would annoy me every time I opened the lid!
Last edited by Phono48 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

It is a blue HMV 102 if the needle pot is blue which it looks like in your picture , the Blue is actually the colour of the covering and is not paint or stain , which make the logo with a black background difficult to understand, when looking closely at your picture it looks as though it could be a stuck on addition or even a black back with painting on it , if the latter perhaps it is a black 102 which has been painted although the blue does look the right colour and painting a case is difficult as all the fittings would need to be taken out and put , if you want it , it would be best to view it before buying , and lifting the motor board out to see if the fabric colour underneath is blue

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Garret wrote:Could it be a heavily oxidized decal?

Here is another example with a similar looking decal: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1783334580

I think you are right , if you look at the Decal from Worthpoint and yours they are the identical background shape except yours is darker , the patch matches exactly even the strange slope on the right of the transfer
Attachments
aa102 decal 2.jpg
aa102 decal 2.jpg (84.08 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
aa102 decal.JPG