Somebody knowing this gramophone logo?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Somebody knowing this gramophone logo?

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for all guidance on this, good to know that the Eric Reiss book is already in the post since a week, if the old man I know about is not able to fix this. Actually I wait with all repairs and restorations until this book arrive, since I am also totally unexperienced with gramophone motors, and mechanical motors in general.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

This is an old thread, one of the first I started almost a year ago, when my interest in acoustic gramophones finally received a MUCH bigger space and time in my life, but when I also knew next to nothing about acoustic gramophones.

I have now (July 2020) installed a (winding handle) non return coil spring on this motor, and it works as it is supposed to.
The motor has been serviced, a good main spring installed, and parts cleaned and oiled...however, it now makes a terrible noise! I am trying to locate the noise, but it is difficult. The stupid part is that I don't really know if the machine made this noise when I bought it a year ago. Since the return mechanism was not working at the time, I quickly put the gramophone away, waiting for better days to find the missing coiled non return spring, and also understanding last summer that this motor was not exactly the easiest way to start a "career" in servicing gramophone motors.
Maybe I can't expect more from this old Union motor, when looking at the worm gear, it for sure does not look optimal when compared to worm gears on later gramophones, and somehow I sense the sounds might possibly come from this area.
I have removed and reinstalled the motor now three times, and adjusted the governor while the motor is running many times, trying to reach the optimal state, but there is not really much to adjust, since the governor gear will easily slip the other gears if I adjust more than a few millimeters. The governor also can be adjusted only at one side. I am uploading a video, so you can have a look. When I play a record, the sound is annoying, even if it is less recognizable from a distance. Apart from this problem the motor runs perfectly at 78 rpm.
Am I simply expecting too much from the gramophone, or do you have any suggestions? There is one particular hissing sound that repeats itself when the motor runs, and I really would like to try to remove it, if it is possible,

I have upload to youtube two photos, one of the motor, and one of the gramophone playing from a distance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEGKkzB ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zokEKu ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
Beka.jpg

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

When I was rebuilding player pianos, I sometimes would use a stethoscope with the diaphragm end taken off, to find air leaks. It was easy to aim the end and hear the hiss of air in a particular spot.

Maybe this would also help you to pinpoint the source of your motor's noise.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you very much, Detrbear. That was a very good advice!! I was now right also able to find (inexpensive) stetoschopes for sale online that are built to locate and recognize hissing sounds in motors and bearings. I did not even know such instruments existed! This will be an interesting task.
Maybe I will also buy one for my car mechanic, he could need one, really :roll:
Here comes the "gramodoc" :idea:
Maybe I should even purchase a white lab coat at the same time too, when I am out shopping :ugeek: