Just another horn gramophone/phonograph, or?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Just another horn gramophone/phonograph, or?

Post by nostalgia »

Just as I was about to ease down and start focusing on restoration and repairs of newly acquired findings, I came across
this horn model for sale. The manufacturer seem to be La Motosacoche Geneve-Acacias, Switzerland. I had never heard of this motorcycle manufacturer, but after googling, I was able to read about the company, but have not been able to find out online that they ever made gramophones. I post available photos, since I guess this may be a pretty rare gramophone. I am not saying this time that I will buy it, far from...but it could be interesting to know if someone know anything about this gramophone at all. Could it maybe possibly have been made by another manufacturer for La Motosacoche company?
Attachments
xphonograph3.png
xphonograph3.png (410.64 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
xphonograph2.png
xphonograph2.png (396.65 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
xphonograph1.png
xphonograph1.png (438.54 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Just another horn gramophone/phonograph, or?

Post by estott »

Everything about the machine looks authentic - EXCEPT for that plate on the side. What company would put the crank hole right through their name? Take it off and clean up the rest.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I find it very strange, but the company was established in 1899..maybe they ordered it for a show or something. I find it hard to believe the more I think about it, that they manufactured this themselves..if it was not a one off, or a small collection, since they had the capacity to make some themselves since they were into mechanics. It is for sale for 150 euro...
And about that crank hole...it goes straight through the "O"...coincidence?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

For 150 euros a machine in that condition might be a good buy. I love the Art Nouveau lettering on the side--it looks like an Edward Gorey illustration. I'd buy it!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

nostalgia wrote:I find it very strange, but the company was established in 1899..maybe they ordered it for a show or something. I find it hard to believe the more I think about it, that they manufactured this themselves..if it was not a one off, or a small collection, since they had the capacity to make some themselves since they were into mechanics. It is for sale for 150 euro...
And about that crank hole...it goes straight through the "O"...coincidence?
The motor plate was probably put there by a previous owner to add interest to the machine. It's fixing screws are mismatched and it has a redundant hole in the 'LA' part of the script which may be part of its previous use or drilled out for a now lost speed control? It is a pity the 'O' has been drilled out as this plate may be of interest in its own right. If you buy the machine and remove the plate you should find fixing holes for the original winding handle escutcheon.

150 euros does not seem expensive but you need to find out how the speed is controlled.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I was reluctant to buying this one, also because I need slow down my purchases for a while, and focus on starting to repair and restore some of my last fidings. Thanks anyway for all advice and inputs, interesting reading for sure, and a lot to learn. When checking this evening, the gramophone now also was sold...

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

La "motosacoche" was a company selling small motor bikes so I don't think they made gramophones. I could be wrong but my first impression would be that the motor has been changed and that the plate is just hidding the original crank hole. Anyway, it's a nice plate!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Oops. Wrong thread.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The speed is controlled by a threaded screw visible under the turntable. It looks to have been re-motored and that's why the plate is used to cover original winding hole. Note the other hole where it was previously fixed to something else.