Gibbs Radiophone(?) - new acquisition - info requested

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Victor VI

Gibbs Radiophone(?) - new acquisition - info requested

Post by 52089 »

Barring something unusual, I am picking up the machine shown below today. I am assuming it is European, but beyond that I know nothing. Could someone please provide more details? It seems to be a similar concept to the HMV 32(?) where there is some kind of conduit inside the cabinet to move the sound from the tonearm to the horn opening. Any info appreciated.

Also, what are the odds of finding a horn for this?

Since someone will ask, yes, I am also picking up the cabinet this is sitting on, but it's a common record storage cabinet intended for a Victor IX or similar.
Attachments
phono.jpg
Last edited by 52089 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: (Hopeful) new acquisition - info requested

Post by epigramophone »

A close up photo of the transfer (decal) on the case might aid identification.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

epigramophone wrote:A close up photo of the transfer (decal) on the case might aid identification.
Yes, of course, but at the time that was the best photo I had. I picked the machine up yesterday so I will post more photos today.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The record cabinet may be common in design, but it is by Pooley so the quality should be above average.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

estott wrote:The record cabinet may be common in design, but it is by Pooley so the quality should be above average.
Good eyes. It is indeed a Pooley and I will post further on that soon.

Victor VI

Re: Gibbs Radiophone(?) - new acquisition - info requested

Post by 52089 »

I have taken possession of the machine and have posted some pictures below. It's an odd duck and clearly not all original. The decal seems to say "Gibbs Radiophone", with no country of origin, but I am certain it is European. First, as seen in the photos, it has a Thorens motor. Second, the non-original tonearm has paper spacers between the mount and the cabinet, and these spacers are made from an old British postcard. The tonearm seems to be from an Orthophonic or a clone, and the reproducer says "RCA V".

I have done Google searches for "Gibbs radiophone phonograph" and "Gibbs radiophone gramophone" and found nothing relevant.

The machine itself needs the usual maintenance but should play fine after that, although the RCA reproducer is not in top shape.

All info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
DSCN1319.JPG
DSCN1320.JPG
DSCN1321.JPG
DSCN1322.JPG
DSCN1323.JPG
DSCN1325.JPG
DSCN1326.JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The sound box and tonearm are from a circa late-1930s RCA Victor portable phonograph. The slightly tapered conduit which connects the base of the tonearm to the horn's mounting is interesting. The flattened bends are like the ones they used on the (UK)Columbia Plano-Reflex models, like this portabe:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.26 KiB) Viewed 1795 times

I'm wondering if it was fitted with a similarly designed tonearm. I don't know if the Plano-Reflex design was licensed to other manufactures.

(QUESTION FOR THE UK COLLECTORS: During the mid-to-late 1920s, did Columbia offer an outside-horn gramophone similar in design to the HMV 32 Gramophone???)

OrthoFan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I would question the authenticity of this machine. I have heard tell that there was a UK dealer who came into the old stock of a decal manufacturer

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

The name 'GIBBS' also appears on the motor and the 'G-R-' letters... for Gibbs Radiophone? I suspect Thorens placed this there which is something they might only normally do for a large customer, as Garrard did for Columbia. Yet there is no information on this maker. Hopefully someone will come up with something :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'd say frankenphone at once if the motor was not stamped Gibbs as well.

Genuine or fantasy, it might be an attractive little machine if it's fixed up and you can find a tone arm.