HMV 5a Reproducer doesn't fit on late HMV 102

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

HMV 5a Reproducer doesn't fit on late HMV 102

Post by Garret »

Hello,

If I may ask, is it not possible to put an HMV 5a reproducer on a late blue HMV 102? I basically came into a BEAUTIFUL early original green HMV 102 for a great price, and want to move the blue HMV 102 onwards. The HMV 5b on the later machine sounds immensely better, and so I put it on the early green 102. However, I can't seem to get the 5a to fit on the late blue 102. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have!

Best,

Garret

soundgen
Victor V

Re: HMV 5a Reproducer doesn't fit on late HMV 102

Post by soundgen »

the soundboxes should be interchangeable can't see why they won't fit . post some pictures of the soundbox backs

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

The 5a is a slightly more snug fit, but they otherwise look identical. The 5a will slide on to the tone arm, and I can feel it "catch" the bayonet mount, but I can't turn it. I could try harder to turn it, but don't want to force it. It's really strange. Photos below. Anyhow, I will just let it go and pass this blue HMV 102 onwards.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I had exactly the same problem with an HMV130 which had been fitted with a later No.5b soundbox. When I tried to fit a 5a it pushed with some reluctance onto the tonearm but would not turn into the bayonet fitting. I then tried another 5a which fitted perfectly.

As Soundgen says, the 5a and 5b should be interchangeable. I can only assume that the pot metal back plates on some examples have swollen in old age.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you for the thoughts! It's really strange, because the 5a fits fine on another tone arm. It also looks better than the 5b!

Garret

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Sounds as if, for some reason, the pin is not reaching the end of the bayonet slot. It is the lower end of the top retaining screw, so try removing the screw and see if you can tell where the hole is in relation to the slot. It could just be that the end of the screw (which is brass) is slightly bent.