Think I've seen this one before

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sidewinder
Victor III

Think I've seen this one before

Post by Sidewinder »

Can anyone in europe recollect having seen this being sold before?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Gramophone-Phon ... %7Ciid%3A1

Bruce
Victor III

Re: Think I've seen this one before

Post by Bruce »

Nice looking little machine (25 cm by 25 cm cabinet - that is 10 inches for the US members) with a very colourful horn.

But the seller only has two feedbacks (one as buyer!) and only joined Ebay in March. They have also significantly underestimated the shipping from Italy to USA/Canada. If this was in North America or a proven seller I would be chasing this machine as it is only at $ 250 US with 20 hours left.

Spiddy sense is going to keep me away from this one :(

Bruce

PS let us know if you get it and if it is delivered without issues

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

German Ebay , Item is in Italy , and text description is French ? :?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Plus the person selling has only one item of feedback as a seller, and that's from a buyer with only 3 items of feedback - it looks suspiciously like a scam!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Plus the seller does not accept PayPal, perhaps the reason why the seller has listed it on the German site. So transfer the money and you've no way of getting it back.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

pic for posterity
Attachments
ascam.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Seems like the listing now has been removed. I would myself also never have sent money outside Paypal to a seller that was new, with few feedbacks.

Yesterday I spent two hours online communicating with a big European auctionhouse. They had listed a "HMV" horn gramophone two days earlier, and proudly stated it was a HMV from the early 1920's etc, while in reality..it was one of the ugliest India crapophones ever made. I emailed them, and after two days an appraiser wrote me that he had seen photos of the gramophone standing next to the seller, and the photo was taken years ago, and from his staandpoint this verified that the gramophone was a real HMV and they would continue to sell it.
How is it possible to be so....? I called him immediately up on the phone, and asked if I told him i had a Rembrandt, and took a photo with myself and the painting, was this sufficient proof to show I had a real Rembrandt? He became a bit hesitant, saying a Rembrand and a gramophone are two different things, but I said in theory, you during your email to me stated that a photograph is sufficient evidence to say that an antique is genuine. I gave him the address and phone of The City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society, and told him that if he did not check this out, my next move would be to call the biggest newspaper in his area. 30 minutes later the crapophone was removed from their website, and no one was fooled into buying it, since a few people already had put their bets on it. Sometimes it still helps to stand on the barricades, luckily;)
-Nostalgia-