The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 am 
Victor I
Keep winding up
Marco: I do not like the idea of installing a new motor, if the motor is an Excelsior Werke motor, even if this not have been confirmed here. The logo on top of the wooden lid, at least shows that parts of the gramophone is from Excelsior. If it is only the governor spring parts that are missing, I will not give in, since I know these can be replicated, but if it proves too difficult, I maybe have to throw in the towel. I am not afraid to start working on the main spring really, but if many components are missing, it is a totally different situation. As told in a thread in the tips section of the forum today, I teach my brain to see and understand how the motor is working, and can't yet see what parts are missing from a motor at first sight, or even at second and third sight:;)
I however not like to give in before I have to, and also...am not very happy about possibly putting in a new motor in the gramophone, and make it a frankenphone..if it not already is so..that is of course another question, since the Pathé reproducer already is installed on the gramophone, that obviously is German made. I still can't see why someone would install a Pathé reproducer on a German gramophone, since German reproducers are cheaper to buy ( If I am right)..
Opinions are very welcome, if it is better to leave this gramophone and sell parts, or install a new motor and repair it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 am 
Victor III
F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.
Oh, yes, excuse me, a picture deceived me and I thought at first that the whole governor assembly was missing, but no, it actually seems that only the springs and weights are missing and that the remaining parts are still there.

Be prepared to experiment a bit: every motor requires springs of appropriate length and stiffness, and also appropriate weights. If springs and weights are not of the appropriate type, the motor in general will run nontheless, but it may prove impossibile to set it at 78 RPM within the range of the adjustment screw. If you can, I suggest you buy the springs that seem more appropriate, but also the two adjacent less stiff/more stiff types, if available at all. Same with weights.

Concerning the details of the machine, since it seems to be German made I suggest you open a thread on the grammophon-platten.de forum https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... /forum.php which is very active, better in German but also in English if you don't speak German. Some of the members here are also members there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 am 
Victor I
Keep winding up
Marco: Thanks for all suggestions, it is hihly appreciated. I will post photos here of the process of restoration.