His Masters Voice painting

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
john46
Victor Jr

His Masters Voice painting

Post by john46 »

Bonhams will auction a highly interesting painting on Oct. 13th (lot 101)!!!

Bruce
Victor III

Re: His Masters Voice painting

Post by Bruce »

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I noticed that it says "After Francis James Barraud (British, 1856-1924): His Master's Voice" I take it this means that another artist, not Barraud, made this copy? I know that in the art world, "after" means that the object is a copy of the original artist's work.

OrthoFan

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

OrthoFan wrote:I noticed that it says "After Francis James Barraud (British, 1856-1924): His Master's Voice" I take it this means that another artist, not Barraud, made this copy? I know that in the art world, "after" means that the object is a copy of the original artist's work.

OrthoFan

HMV had many paintings made after Barraud died many artists and many paintings where they are still known to be can be seen in this book

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-title1

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

soundgen wrote:
OrthoFan wrote:I noticed that it says "After Francis James Barraud (British, 1856-1924): His Master's Voice" I take it this means that another artist, not Barraud, made this copy? I know that in the art world, "after" means that the object is a copy of the original artist's work.

OrthoFan

HMV had many paintings made after Barraud died many artists and many paintings where they are still known to be can be seen in this book

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-title1
Many thanks. Seeing the asking price for a copy, painted by an unknown artist, I'm wondering what an original would go for. :o

OrthoFan

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

OrthoFan
Good question. The listing also says "1920s", which could have put it within Barraud's lifetime. Did he sign all his copies? Would brushstroke analysis, compared with the original, or an authenticated copy, help to confirm or deny an attribution? :geek:

- Bill

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Lucius1958 wrote:

OrthoFan
Good question. The listing also says "1920s", which could have put it within Barraud's lifetime. Did he sign all his copies? Would brushstroke analysis, compared with the original, or an authenticated copy, help to confirm or deny an attribution? :geek:

- Bill
I think the whereabouts of all the Barraud paintings are known

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

"Provenance:
This example was given to the vendor's father who was the Manager of HMV London in the 1960's.

Francis Barraud produced 24 copies of the original painting between 1913 and 1924, commissioned by The Gramophone Company of which 17 of them were sent to The Victor Company in the USA."

The statement of provenance does not state who gave the picture to the vendor's father. If it stated specifically that it was given by the Gramophone Company, that would indicate prior ownership and, perhaps, some Company connection with the artist, whoever that might be, should it have been commissioned.

The second statement about Barruad's production is misleading; since the auction house did not "attribute" the picture to Barraud, the number of copies painted by Barraud is irrelevant.

Given the ambiguity of its origin, I have no idea how they priced it. Certainly a fine picture can stand on its own merit, but the buyer is making his own market, perhaps never to be met again.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

For posterity: AFTER FRANCIS JAMES BARRAUD (BRITISH, 1856-1924): HIS MASTER'S VOICE,1920's,
oil on canvas, featuring the well-known image of a dog and a gramophone, framed, 28in x 36in (71cm x 91.5cm)
Provenance:
This example was given to the vendor's father who was the Manager of HMV London in the 1960's.
Francis Barraud produced 24 copies of the original painting between 1913 and 1924, commissioned by The Gramophone Company of which 17 of them were sent to The Victor Company in the USA.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 9.03.45 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife