Help with an HMV Horn Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phononut
Victor I
Personal Text: Music's Re-Creation is Mr. Edison's most sublime gift to mankind.

Help with an HMV Horn Machine

Post by phononut »

Hello All,

Hope everyone is well. I am seeking some assistance with a recent acquisition of mine. My knowledge of European machines is limited, so I am reaching out for some help with identification.

A few questions:

-I believe this is an HMV Intermediate Monarch, but I’m not so sure. There is no model on the machine. It has the correct double spring motor. Thoughts?

-I would like to complete the machine; I am wondering what the correct horn would be? I’d love to see some photos of someone has the same machine! If someone has a horn they would part with, I would certainly be interested. Once I can identify the proper horn I will make a Yankee Trader post.

-Someone has brush painted all the plated components with silver paint (I am assuming because of corrosion). Any insight on how to safely remove this paint while preserving any remaining plating?

As always, sincerely appreciate the knowledge be help of my fellow board members

Brad
Attachments
F401B7F5-3715-404C-BD52-AA6E52355A83.jpeg
6C35E04E-2B99-4027-84BE-D9736B5AF6DC.jpeg
E104DDFD-1AFC-45D3-A509-35D17F124B73.jpeg
394037E0-8E73-44DE-A4D0-0F56D31681C2.jpeg
748DF276-6A58-4653-B3BF-DFEF5267FC7B.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Help with an HMV Horn Machine

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Brad,

The case style with the distinctive raised panels with 'cut away corners' is normally the model 4 as is the reference 'HDO' on the underside. Early models have a 'Junior Monarch' transfer. The book gives the date as 1910-17 but yours is dated 1919 and the model 4 was a single-spring machine, so if yours is double-spring I'm not sure if maybe it's a form of the model 5 or an overseas model or probably like some intermediate monarchs (model 2) supplied with a double-Spring motor during the Great War period. Someone here will know for sure!

The model 4 which appears to be the same case either had a steel morning glory or oak horn.

A paint stripper should remove the paint ok with the finest 0000 wire wool. Remove the metal parts so as not to get any stripper on the woodwork.

Jamie