Columbia Dictaphone Belt

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
JeffHowe
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jeff

Columbia Dictaphone Belt

Post by JeffHowe »

Hi, everyone.

So now the summer is here, I have managed to refresh an Edison shaver and a Dictaphone player/recorders that I acquired, during the last few months. Everything works and I look forward to trying some recording soon! I've taken the soft approach and have kept both machines in as original nick as possible. At work I have access to a sand-blaster and other machinery, so rust has gone and bare metal oiled and nothing painted, and I think the finished articles look great and work well.

My only drawback at the moment is finding a drive belt for the Dictaphone. I've run it on an insulating tape belt and it works! It's very tricky measuring the right length, but I estimate that it needs a belt that's about 385 mm long x 10mm wide.

I am having a devil of a job getting one, so if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know! I've tried Simply Bearings, Dunlop Bearings, eBay and all those places !

Many thanks.
No idea why the pictures are at 90 degs
Attachments
IMG-1413.jpg
IMG-1312.jpg
IMG-1314.jpg

recordmaker
Victor I

Re: Columbia Dictaphone Belt

Post by recordmaker »

Book binding thin leather is the thing to use for and authentic replacement but I have used thin o rings very successfully in an Ediphone the lower pulley shape on the Dictaphone may not allow for that and there may be a belt tensioner so a flat leather belt skived and glued is the best thing.
Gaffer tape would be better then insulting tape by the way for a quick rig up

beltingonline.com
make a variety of belts but I have never tried them as yet for those but I have purchased other items from them.
Rubber/Nylon Flat Endless Belts 1mm Thick 370 mm and 400 mm are available.
not sure the tension adjustment on the Dictaphone.

JeffHowe
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jeff

Post by JeffHowe »

Thanks very much - o rings are a good idea - will investigate!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

:D :D I like the idea of the insulting tape... Kind of modern version of the Whidlack 'Sneeze' and 'Snore' old records!
Inigo