HMV Monarch Senior

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SydneyAde
Victor I

HMV Monarch Senior

Post by SydneyAde »

Hello

Apologies if this has already been covered previously.

Is this case a Monarch Senior VII (1910-1913)? and,

Does it look like the correct motor is installed?

Thanks
Ade
Attachments
HMV Monarch Senior VII Motor.jpeg
HMV Monarch Senior VII Motor.jpeg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
HMV Monarch Senior VII Case.jpeg
HMV Monarch Senior VII Case.jpeg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: HMV Monarch Senior

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, this motor is correct. It is the same three spring motor for the American Victor V, and Victor VI, and some of the Victrolas.
Harvey Kravitz

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Phonofreak wrote:Yes, this motor is correct. It is the same three spring motor for the American Victor V, and Victor VI, and some of the Victrolas.
Harvey Kravitz

Great, thanks Harvey.

Regards

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

To the OP, the answer is yes and yes.

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Steve wrote:To the OP, the answer is yes and yes.
Thanks Steve :D

The case and motor is for sale here in Oz on Ebay for AUD$600 or offer, I am very
tempted and did some browsing and saw a couple of similar machines that gave me the
Model number, but I just wanted to check to be sure. However, I think the time also
brought me to my senses, I really don't need another machine, as pretty as it is.

Possibly when I get rid of some of the standard stuff I have. I keep telling myself,
there are always and will always be bargains...

Ade

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's not a particularly common machine with that style case. It's a lot less common than the Senior Monarch which preceded it with what we refer to as the "ginger bread" case.

The price is good to.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

The mouldings are very distinctive and are often called 'dogstooth' but I think they look more like a dogs collar. I have one and am very fond of it, the mahogany No. 7 is rather plain by comparison. $600 AUD doesn't seem at all expensive for what appears to be a good example and if it had the back bracket I would snatch it up quick but it looks like you would have to find that. This is a problem I have, I have 2 of the longer back brackets for 10 inch turntable cases but can't find the correct short bracket for a 12 inch case. Maybe it's more difficult to find and a case of finding a wrecked 12 inch machine for this part.

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

jamiegramo wrote:The mouldings are very distinctive and are often called 'dogstooth' but I think they look more like a dogs collar. I have one and am very fond of it, the mahogany No. 7 is rather plain by comparison. $600 AUD doesn't seem at all expensive for what appears to be a good example and if it had the back bracket I would snatch it up quick but it looks like you would have to find that. This is a problem I have, I have 2 of the longer back brackets for 10 inch turntable cases but can't find the correct short bracket for a 12 inch case. Maybe it's more difficult to find and a case of finding a wrecked 12 inch machine for this part.
I agree Jamie

I was wondering about that back bracket size and also the horn, which I read was available in timber.

I also thought about the challenge in restoring the cabinet and that would have been the biggest hurdle for me,
although I'm sure some people would be satisfied in leaving it as is. I noticed that a forum member used a toothbrush
to clean up the decorative mouldings on another fancy phono case.

I have enough projects to keep me busy for the foreseeable future, though I guess there is always a chance that
a must have might sway me. Like you I'm waiting for a part, a support arm to make an appearance, and I suppose
half the fun is in the chase.

Ade