Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Re: The illusive HMV 52 oil bath motor

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:
HMVDevotee wrote:Steve,

Perhaps you have mentioned your lubrication of the #52 motor elsewhere (and I've missed it), but in the 15 years you've been running it, have you greased the springs or relied on the recirculated oil to lubricate them?

Fabulous table-top by the way!

R.
Regarding lubrication: had a friend who had to lay down a cabinet with an oil bath motor in order to transport it in the back of his car....the inside of the car became well lubricated as well. Anyone else had this issue?
No, because it should hopefully be obvious that oil will drain out of the sump around the spindle if the motorboard is not kept upright.

When I need to move my machines with oil baths I will remove the motors and transport them in a box so I can carry them upright. I might need to mark it "THIS WAY UP" in case I forget though!
Actually if oil drains out from the spindle when the motor is on its side it means there is too much oil in the motor ! there only needs to be enough oil to cover the piston , I have seen these motors full of oil and it drains out of the winding handle , there must be a manual somewhere which sugests an appropriate amount
but I can't think it is more than say 1 to 200 ccs

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Re: The illusive HMV 52 oil bath motor

Post by HMVDevotee »

Some further advice would be helpful... I've read the extensive discussions regarding the #52 motor as posted and, as a new member to the Forum, must express my gratitude to the helpful participants who eagerly share their accumulated wisdom. This is an impressive assembly of enthusiasts!

Having never broken-down a #52 before, I am curious as to the disassembly sequence. (For example, I remember with my #32, you had to remove the speed indicator pointer from the top of it's shaft before parting the motor from it's board.)

Any suggestions as to what sequence to follow (things to be aware of?) I'm mechanically inclined, but I'd rather work with advice given the absence of a schematic. I have a seized oil pump to sort-out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Robert