The illusive HMV 52 oil bath motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

The illusive HMV 52 oil bath motor

Post by HMVDevotee »

New member... first post... any help greatly appreciated:

I am seeking any documentation available on the HMV 52 oil bath motor (that powers my HMV193.) Internet searches have yielded one reference to the London Society's "For the Record" magazine whose Spring 2010 issue (#33) has an article on the motor, but library searches have proved unsuccessful in obtaining a copy. I have recently made an inquiry to the Society regarding reprints or old issues, but have yet to hear. I am mostly interested in operation and maintenance instructions. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Robert

Victor VI

Re: The illusive HMV 52 oil bath motor

Post by 52089 »

This board has a decent search function. Searching for "oil bath motor" showed 67 posts. That would be a good place to start.

HMVDevotee
Victor I

Post by HMVDevotee »

Thanks for search engine suggestion! Found a very helpful thread from fellow forum members who have hands-on experience trying to sort out what I hoped original documentation would have supplied. Should I gain access to the CLPGS magazine article regarding the #52 motor, I'll quote any additional technical information that may be useful for fellow members.

R.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Check out my Rare Indian HMV thread. My machine has an oil bath. I can add more pics if you want.

My 202 also has the same motor. They are the very best motors HMV ever made.

I'm not sure what info the society has specifically but if it's info on oil levels, good luck with that. My 202 has been running sweetly for 15 years now. I guessed!

HMVDevotee
Victor I

Post by HMVDevotee »

An update: I have heard from someone affiliated with the City of London Society; my initial inquiry regarding copies of the magazine issue of interest was not received.

HMVDevotee
Victor I

Post by HMVDevotee »

Steve,

Perhaps you have mentioned your lubrication of the #52 motor elsewhere (and I've missed it), but in the 15 years you've been running it, have you greased the springs or relied on the recirculated oil to lubricate them?

Fabulous table-top by the way!

R.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

HMVDevotee wrote:Steve,

Perhaps you have mentioned your lubrication of the #52 motor elsewhere (and I've missed it), but in the 15 years you've been running it, have you greased the springs or relied on the recirculated oil to lubricate them?

R.
Thanks for your comments on the Indian machine.

No, I've never had to grease the springs of my 52 motor. The oil does not act as a substitute for graphite grease though. Somehow the two work hand in hand. There is a little loss of grease over the years into the oil where some grease has dried and flaked off and the oil has flushed it out.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

R.
Regarding lubrication: had a friend who had to lay down a cabinet with an oil bath motor in order to transport it in the back of his car....the inside of the car became well lubricated as well. Anyone else had this issue?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Sidewinder wrote:

R.
Regarding lubrication: had a friend who had to lay down a cabinet with an oil bath motor in order to transport it in the back of his car....the inside of the car became well lubricated as well. Anyone else had this issue?
No, because it should hopefully be obvious that oil will drain out of the sump around the spindle if the motorboard is not kept upright.

When I need to move my machines with oil baths I will remove the motors and transport them in a box so I can carry them upright. I might need to mark it "THIS WAY UP" in case I forget though!