The third Polyphon in two weeks, this time a floor model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: The third Polyphon in two weeks, this time a floor model

Post by Inigo »

That's true... The Edison C250 horn sounds very good. The Brunswick Cortez spruce horn is also highly praised. I'm curious about the real sound of these German Gramophones. It's a fact that Germans are music lovers, and the myriads of Gramophones of this type that have survived mean that there were many of them sold... So the sound must be good, despite the appearance of those small horns.
And I also share the feeling of being enthusiastical about each one of the machines I own. My plans are listen to and take care of each one as if it was unique... Only that from time to time you change your 'preferred' machine. But all them in the end must be carefully restored, treated to give its best possible sound, and used frequently.
I own 12 machines, and basically have no plans to increase, except for a long dear dream, which is to build a machine of my own, with a huge exponential horn. Five of them are at its best possible performance, and the other seven are mostly working, but all in need of some kind of work. Until I get them all at their best, still out is a long way...
Inigo

NEKTREG
Victor Jr

Post by NEKTREG »

Really nice machine. It‘s the Model Polyphon No.814 and should sound quiet nice. Youre one has the wrong soundbox .
Double-Spring Polydor No.30 motor
Soundbox Polydor Alum A
Automatic break

I also have a Polyphon and a Gramola (both labels from the german Grammophon)
Attachments
3B26031B-0142-4D98-8FF0-350829263030.jpeg
Last edited by NEKTREG on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Nektreg: Thank you for the additional information on this gramophone, it is much appreciated.
Until you posted this, I had not been able to identify the gramophone.
I am still considering it, but it is all about finding space.;)
Thanks again:)