Needing help with HMV tabletop indentification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Needing help with HMV tabletop indentification

Post by nostalgia »

I need some help indentifying this HMV tabletop. I have looked through my "HMV book", but really can't find
this model. It is the wooden needle tray, the look of the motorboard, and the position of the decal that don't match
any of the models in the book. The closest I have come is Model 8, but here again the position of the decal don't match.
Photos are blurry, but the language under the decal seems to be in German (Der Stimme des Herrn)
Is this an "outsourced" HMV?
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Needing help with HMV tabletop indentification

Post by epigramophone »

The book "His Master's Gramophone" is a guide to the machines sold in the UK, so a German machine would not be included.

An on line search should find the German collector's forum www.grammophon-platten.de, whose members may be able to identify your machine.
Last edited by epigramophone on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks epigramophone. I did not know that HMV also had German tabletops, not listed in the book.
Are these models manufactured outside UK too?
I will try the German forum, I have already registered there two weeks ago.
I now understand this is not a normal export model, since export models sold in continental Europe made in UK (of course) are listed in the HMV book.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

As suggested, I uploaded the photos to the German forum, and this evening I received a reply from a helpful member.
It was interesting information, and it seems this model is most probably a DGAG Gramola model, from late 1914, and is very close to HMV Model 8 in appearance and function. And I guess this maybe is also one of the first HMV inspired/copied table top model after WW1 started, and Germany needed to manufacture their own gramophones... I also found the link given below on the German forum that in German gives much information on how the HMV logo( with German language: "Die Stimme seines Herrn") continued to be used in Germany, Austria etc, during and after the world war period, and the history around it where HMV lost control of their daughter company DGAG/Deutsche Grammophon( that I know many here on the forum already know much about). It is still many interesting posters and clips from newspaper shown in this same thread.
I still have no idea what motor is inside this tabletop, but I would guess it is not a HMV motor under the circumstances given.
https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... .php?34687

Off topic: I posted a video from the German gramophone/phonograph museum today in the link section. It is a highly recommended and fantastic video (understanding German language or not). I found the link on the German grammophon forum.
Attachments
Gramola.png

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

This has no direct UK equivalent; it has a 10-inch turntable, judging from the photos, whereas the Model 8 has a 12-inch one. It might be a Model 6 (TBO), which is identical in design, but smaller and with a 10-inch turntable. In the UK this was made in oak only until 1923, by which time it had been re-numbered as 110.

The position of the trade mark bears no relation to the model; it varied from year to year, depending partly on the design of the transfer itself.

Deutsche Grammophon had their own factory, so many of their models differed from the UK equivalent, but not all. The Gramola 18 you show in an advertisement is identical to the UK Model IX. There was a considerable degree of interchange between the UK and European factories up to 1914, and of course the mechanical parts mostly came from Victor anyway. An 'HMV' motor would have been a Victor motor in origin.