Strangely colored HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Strangely colored HMV 101

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, that looks like a very nice grey:) I already have one though, but hope someone who know how to care for it will buy it.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I emailed Dave Cooper, to ask him about his opinion on the color of this HMV 101, and he was kind enough to write me back.
His opionion is, quoting:
"The photos look like a standard grey 101, which is more of a taupe colour. There seemed to be some problems making a true grey rexine. Even the crocodile grey version is more of a coffee latte colour."

So, if someone did not order the color to fit their own luggage color, as "Soundgen" suggested;, I guess this is the most probable answer:)And...if the gramophone actually was shipped from Hayes with this color, I guess there also is a fair chance that additional copies of the same color may show up in the future...(or not).

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

nostalgia wrote:There seemed to be some problems making a true grey rexine. Even the crocodile grey version is more of a coffee latte colour.
Interesting! Similarly, it's thought that some of the EMG horns might have been unusual colours when new, but have nearly all faded to shades of brown over the years.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

My Telefunken which is pretty much exactly the same machine has a dull green cover.

Any one know where a person can get the spring replace, mine has gotten to only making it half way though a record without rewinding. I cleaned the spring out and greased it but no different. When I first go it it would run though at least a 10 inch and if lucky a shorter 12 inch. I have ask a couple rebuilders but they seem to shun trying to fix it.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Hi Larryh,
I guess it all depends on where you are living....to find someone to help you.
I don't know anything about Telefunken gramophones, but since you say it has many similarities to the HMV 101 in this thread,
I reply with having that in mind. Even if you have cleaned and greased the main spring, I would myself also absolutely have cleaned and oiled/greased the other motor parts. I have serviced four HMV 101 during the last few weeeks, and yesterday also started servicing my first HMV 102, and both the governor parts, yes I could say all wheels and bearings, have all been filled with "asfalt" like hardened grease that for sure slow down the speed of the gramophones. After servicing them all, I will never again even tempt to wind up a gramophone before servicing it totally (not only the main spring), or checking their motor status.
Yesterday evening I spent 6 hours cleaning a HMV 102, a total mess of hard to reach hardened "asfalt" grease. It is more work than brain surgery though, if one is patient, and paying VERY close attention to (very small) parts. The HMV 102, that I started to service yesterday, has quite some differences and challenges with its 271D motor, compared to my previous serviced HMV 101, who all had a 59 motor who was easier to dissasemble. I am very happy I started with disassembling a HMV 101 with a 59 motor, instead of hitting a HMV 102 when I first started servicing these motors.
Good luck!