Help identifying new upcoming early HMV Monarch

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Help identifying new upcoming early HMV Monarch

Post by nostalgia »

This HMV gramophone is for sale. I have looked carefully through the His Masters Gramophone Book, and the closest I have come so far, is the Monarch Junior (1903-1910)on page 26 (photo 2.9) in the book. But the color of the horn does not match the book, and also I can't find the decal on the gramophone in the "HMV Book". Apart from it, this gramophone looks very genuine to me. I would, of course, love to get the experts' opionions on this, as I see it, early HMV Monarch. Identifying early HMV horn models is always of big interest, and I know many in here share this interest too:)
And...is it only me, or is the winding key on these monarchs really this long?
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Help identifying new upcoming early HMV Monarch

Post by jamiegramo »

This is a continental Monarch Junior or No. 5B from the French Company. A later example as is evidenced by the trademark, soundbox and molding. The nickel-plated horn is common on continental machines and I believe this may be a gramophone company horn but from an older front mount (pre-tonearm) machine. It doesn't appear to have the recessed end that sits within the horn elbow and it would be very sad if someone has shortened it to fit the elbow. It would have been a desirable horn. The wood molding is not the tongue pattern normally seen on Monarch Juniors and is a French variation. You are right in suspecting the winding handle, it is too long and comes from another machine.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Indeed the winding handle definitely comes from a floor-standing machine. The horn is wrong, at least to my eyes, and quite obviously doesn't fit the elbow well.

Personally I would ask the seller a picture of the motor before buying.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I will definitely not buy this gramophone. I also actually never intented to, since my budget is not there, right now.
Interesting though to get some opinions on the gramophone, since there is always something to learn.
You had very valuable and interesting information, "jamiegramo", and you too Marco. Just by reading responses like yours, I am sure also others like myself, can learn a lot. Thanks a lot for posting!

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Comment to see a pic of the motor is a good question to ask, though probably OK and a single spring! The french logo is quite a pretty one when there in its entirity
Attachments
not perfect.....
not perfect.....
logo fr.JPG (26.65 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you "Sidewinder" for posting photo of the decal, yes it looks nice, and I had never seen it before.
I have asked the seller for some photos of the motor, but still no replies. Because yes, it could be interesting to see the motor.