Columbia Viva Tonal, model 212, anyone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia Viva Tonal, model 212, anyone?

Post by epigramophone »

Yes, Columbia had an extensive range of portables. In 1928/29 the UK range comprised the Models 100, 109a, 112a and 113, compared with only the 101 from HMV.
Columbia's overseas model range was even more extensive, but as I have already mentioned, information about these machines is hard to find.
The reason can be traced back to 1931 when Columbia merged with HMV to form EMI. The HMV archives were carefully preserved, but Columbia's were not. A cynic might conclude that the HMV management had no wish to preserve the history of what had been their most illustrious competitor. The result is that no-one will ever be able to write a book on UK Columbia to match the size and scope of "His Master's Gramophone" because the original research material no longer exists.

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

nostalgia wrote:This Columbia portable grabbed my interest today, it is for sale for 120 euro. I could find minor information on the forum when completing a search, and also not much when doing a google search. It looks rather pristine to me, even if the photos are a bit blurry.
I dont even know if this is a US or UK made Columbia? Any input would be appreciated.
I never get really interested in portables other than HMV ones but this looks fantastic.

First of all is it black or very dark brown? Marocco grain leatherette am I right?

Secondly how does it sound? Does the horn extend the whole gramophone or is it truncated under the motorboard (like many Columbia portables)?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I am almost ashamed to admit, that this portable was only cleaned, superficially checked and wrapped up in plastic wrap after the purchase, before being stored in my rented storage locker. At the time when it was stored I had not yet serviced a Columbia portable, so the machine has never been opened and checked really. I admittedly almost went mad in buying portables last summer/ autumn, and the increasing number made it impossible to store them all in my rather small home. Since I at that time also was only comfortable with servicing HMV portables, these machines were all totally checked, disassembled and serviced, while the Columbias were only more superficially checked.

The closets were full and the space under the beds was taken with portables, and eventually I had to remove most of the portables from my home, keeping only 5 portables for now, two HMV 102 machines, and 2 Columbia portables ( 113 and 202, plus an Electrola. The reason why I kept these machines at home, is mostly because they needed some small repairs, and second because they arrived after I had removed the rest of the portables from the house.

I have now serviced a Garrard/Columbia triple spring motor this autumn, and also torn apart some Plano Reflex arms, so it could be an interesting project to have a closer look at this Columbia model 212 in the new year. I will bring it back home the next time I visit my storage locker, that is situated 60 km away. I will anyway go there sometimes during the upcoming Christmas holiday.

And yes, I will also try to make space for it at home, it really deserves better than being stored in a storage locker, since it one of the best looking and most interesting of my portables. I will return to this thread when I have collected it from the storage locker, and also upload some better photos, of the outside and inside of the machine. The photos currently in this thread, was taken by my old mobile cam, and I now have a better cam on my phone.

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

nostalgia wrote:[...] I will return to this thread when I have collected it from the storage locker, and also upload some better photos, of the outside and inside of the machine. The photos currently in this thread, was taken by my old mobile cam, and I now have a better cam on my phone.
This would be great. I am looking forward to this.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

epigramophone wrote:PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) is a rubber synthetic polymer which is a constituent of what is commonly known as wood glue.
There are many brands available, depending on where you live, but I am currently using Unibond on both mica and aluminium diaphragms.
Can this glue be easily removed for future service to the reproducer?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

JerryVan wrote:
epigramophone wrote:PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) is a rubber synthetic polymer which is a constituent of what is commonly known as wood glue.
There are many brands available, depending on where you live, but I am currently using Unibond on both mica and aluminium diaphragms.
Can this glue be easily removed for future service to the reproducer?
Warm water softens the glue, making it easy to remove.