Genuine, The Gramophone Company made, Gramola

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Genuine, The Gramophone Company made, Gramola

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote:Tabletops are an unappreciated source of enjoyment. I'd have to upload on my YT channel some videos of my hmv127 playing... You'd see what a magnific sound they can deliver. This machine has a modified no4 soundbox (relaxed pressure on the diaphragm edge and sealing of the gap between backplate and front ring with vinyl glue, rubber connector to the tonearm).
Also there's still an additional trick to make them sing with incredible power... It consists of placing the machine on the floor. This way the overall effect is that of doubling the effective area the horn mouth, and the power is this improved further.
Here is the video o of the machine playing, not on the floor, but on a table:
https://youtu.be/ob11Uz6Iw5o
I enjoyed your video.

Did you use a bamboo needle I wonder with this record ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, it's a self-made bamboo needle, and it is from the inner part of the bamboo, which I used to discard when cutting them. I only kept the outer cuttings with the shiny bamboo shell. But one day I started to cut needles from a bamboo stick that seemed so good, with tight straight fibers, so dry, hard and solid, and it was so thick, that instead of discarding the inner pieces (the ones that don't have part of the outer shiny shell) I also cut them into triangular needles, and this is the result! They are also very good! This particular one has played several sides without repointing... If the bamboo is dry and solid, good enough, you can make needles of every part. There's nothing to trash except the curved ends at the stick knuckles, and the rests that are too small to make needles of them.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote:Yes, it's a self-made bamboo needle, and it is from the inner part of the bamboo, which I used to discard when cutting them. I only kept the outer cuttings with the shiny bamboo shell. But one day I started to cut needles from a bamboo stick that seemed so good, with tight straight fibers, so dry, hard and solid, and it was so thick, that instead of discarding the inner pieces (the ones that don't have part of the outer shiny shell) I also cut them into triangular needles, and this is the result! They are also very good! This particular one has played several sides without repointing... If the bamboo is dry and solid, good enough, you can make needles of every part. There's nothing to trash except the curved ends at the stick knuckles, and the rests that are too small to make needles of them.
That sounds like good / interesting advice. I make my own too and only use the outer 'skin' bits - so I will try what you suggest tonight. I sharpen them with an electronic sander - brush off any dust and 'hey Presto' ! They do last for Several plays and clean the records too !

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I cut them with a fine blade cutter. Just you press on the bamboo cylinder head, and it splits under the blade. When you do this, you put the blade at 60° so to cut equilateral triangles starting from the outside shell. If the bamboo cylinder is thick enough, the inner parts of the bamboo can also be cut this way and you obtain those additional inner needles. To use one of those you need to examine them under a strong light to choose their best edges to play the record with a thin edge. You'll find that some of them are really good...
Inigo