My new EMG Xa

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: My new EMG Xa

Post by chunnybh »

The Emporium was in fact a tiny wee shop but with mountains of 78's everywhere. The staff were very knowledgeable and really helpful. Prices were fair but I never got a bargain, except in the secret basement.
This Xa was painted in a flat gold colour which looked like gold-leaf and I remember it looking stunning and sounding even better. I don't suppose you have any before pictures?.
Congratulations again, this one has history.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

chunnybh wrote:The Emporium was in fact a tiny wee shop but with mountains of 78's everywhere. The staff were very knowledgeable and really helpful. Prices were fair but I never got a bargain, except in the secret basement.
This Xa was painted in a flat gold colour which looked like gold-leaf and I remember it looking stunning and sounding even better. I don't suppose you have any before pictures?.
Congratulations again, this one has history.
Still sounds like a niche heaven on earth :lol:

I've attached a photo of how it looked when it arrived, the gold was painted black in the past then partially taken back into a black/gold mottled effect, not very attractive if you ask me, the soundbox is awaiting gaskets to arrive to rebuild it, but with my Expert 4 spring on it sounds brilliant, if you ever happen to be back in the UK you're welcome to come and hear it again.

Thanks Chunny, It does, I'm trying to uncover more history about it, such as getting in touch with the gramophone emporium about where they got it from.
thumbnail_photo.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks for the picture. I'm sure I have a photograph of it from the 80's somewhere on an old hard drive. I'll look out for it. Here is the only pic I found of it on the net. It's how I remember it.
Attachments
gramophone-emporium-edinburgh-1374488971-article-0.jpeg
gramophone-emporium-edinburgh-1374488971-article-0.jpeg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 640 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

chunnybh wrote:Well done Alex.
That Xa was the very first EMG I saw and heard in person. It was always being played whenever I visited and then sometime in the 90's it disappeared.
If I remember correctly, the Emporium was only open on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings. When the shop closed on a Saturday, you could follow one of the staff to a "secret" building somewhere in Edinburgh. Then to a really dark and dank basement choc-a-block with 78's. I remember taking a friend along and he had to leave almost immediately as the damp set off his asthma. I emerged half an hour later clutching a pile of white, mold covered acetates.
Here's one on my Youtube channel. Never did find out who this was.
https://youtu.be/HXVD7-GnfvY
I remember this guy, but he wasn't particularly angry - just discontented... :lol:

- Bill
Screenshot 2019-11-08 23.42.51.png