Another Columbia portable, is this model 211?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Another Columbia portable, is this model 211?

Post by nostalgia »

Some days ago, I aqcuired the Japan made Columbia 212, and today this Columbia caught my attention. Is this the 211 model, the last EMI/UK manufactured acoustic gramophone? If so I maybe need try to get hold of it, or maybe I am becoming a little superstitious here....Columbia 211, 212..;)
And yes...I like the key:)
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Another Columbia portable, is this model 211?

Post by epigramophone »

Yes it is a Columbia 211, but the locking lid catch appears to be from a coloured HMV102. The 211's catch was a smaller and cheaper one.
To be honest, the 211's only significance is that it was, as you say, the last EMI acoustic machine catalogued in the UK.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I read online that model 211, is not a significant machine, thinking of quality.
Interesting to know though that the lock and key belong to a colored HMV 202, wonder if it
was manufactured that way, using spare parts before "it was all over"...
It looks pretty well taken care of, it all dependes on price, since the seller want 120 euro
for it, too much as I see it, and it also has been listed for sale for 1,5 months now.
In past I sometimes have had good experiences with offering £40-50 for these kinds of listings, if
the seller really want to get rid of it. If I buy it, it will probably be for nostalgia and completion only,
and well...I guess that maybe also will justify a purchase, since I afrer all am ...Nostalgia:;)
Thanks again Roger, for your response:)

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That machine is in really nice condition. Maybe worth getting just for that fact. The poor little LP on it probably not anymore :o

Andreas

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

With great respect to Epigramophone (who I usually agree with 100%), that lid catch is a brand new one, and of a different design to that on a 102. That aside, I have to say that the 211 is a cheap and nasty machine with a tiny motor, undersize turntable, and no ball bearings in the arm. On top of that, the pot metal soundbox is also excessively heavy. You may have gathered from this that I'm definitely not a fan!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The poor LP is indeed a Linguaphone 78rpm recording, although i don't know if it is shellac or vinyl..
The 211 was being still made after the production of 102s had ceased?
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Interesting to see this gramophone initiates some good discussions and even small disagreements.;)
I knew already some of you would not be an exact fan of this gramophone (that may well include myself, if I buy it..), but I also tend to agree with Andreas here. The gramophone seems to be well taken care of, and it has its rightful place in the Columbia/ EMI history, so I admit having an interest in it, if not for quality or uniquness reasons, then for the sake of protecting a nice copy for the future, and for completion.
I even have a chance of improving my English with the Linguaphone record going along with it;)