The day two Pathephones went for sale

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Grammofon1904
Victor Jr

The day two Pathephones went for sale

Post by Grammofon1904 »

Earlier this autumn, I saw these two at the net. Both with the same wooden horn. Made some bold plans to get them both, but calmed down a bit. Landed the cheapest, the other one got from ultra-cheap to highest bid. (not bad that price eihter) The one I landed, has a very large single-spring motor! Fantastic beautiful huge brass gears. Probably never touched after installed either. None letters/numbers/signs at it, but the shop/importers brassplate. 'William Johnsen' (later W Farre), well known in Scandinavia. Not 100% about ¨real Pathé¨- might be another maker, but the seller of this machine was the sole importer from Pathé here. A box of Pathé records followed also. Some small cosmetics to do, but nothing serious. Had a Pathé soundbox for years, that eventually was useful.
Attachments
Two Pathephone.jpg
Two Pathephone.jpg

Grammofon1904
Victor Jr

Re: The day two Pathephones went for sale

Post by Grammofon1904 »

Pretty huge...
Attachments
IMG_2718.JPG

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The machines look interesting, which one did you buy?

I do not recognize the motor, the older French Pathé motors have a lever to start-stop the movement, with no external brake. I am not familiar with Pathé machines made for Russia and the neighbouring countries, so these may utilize different parts from the French ones.

Grammofon1904
Victor Jr

Post by Grammofon1904 »

Bought the left one. The stop/start level touch directly the speed governor.