Fidelio Portable...ever seen one?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Fidelio Portable...ever seen one?

Post by nostalgia »

I decided to show you this Fidelio portable, since it looks so different. Nothing generic or common about this machine. I have also not been able to find a similar machine online, even after extensive googling (and searching both this and the German forum), so I thought it could be interesting for everyone to have a look. I have been able to detect that it is a Germany made (Berlin) machine, and that Fidelio also made tabletops and even floor models, but this is the only Fidelio portable I have been able to find online. Have any of you you ever seen a similar portable?
Attachments
Fidelio.png
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1a.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Fidelio Portable...ever seen one?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

WOW, very nice, peculiar machine! The wooden tonearm, join and horn absolutely lovely! What a cute machine, I've never seen one like this before!

NEKTREG
Victor Jr

Post by NEKTREG »

Did you found this in the german forum? https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... .php?23774

This one is a Fidelio Electro from 1928. Electro means in this case it is made for the new electrically
recorded records. Your one is earlyer around 1924-1926.

This cases with wooden tonearm are quiet common in the early 20s,many Off-brand machines and Polyphon used exacly the same cases.
Be very careful with the soundbox,she is made out of pot metal.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 20.25.43.jpeg

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

I have a Parlophon which has the wooden tone arm wooden side opening horn and same basic layout.
I will post a picture shortly
I guess that there were a few Brands under the Carl Lindstrom empire in those days.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, the link in the German forum was the same I found, but I did not see the photo you have posted here. It is interesting information in total, as we learn something new every day on this forum. so thank you a lot for sharing. I did not yet buy the green Fidelio portable, it will (only) cost me around 40 euro, but I also try to restrict my purchases these days.;) I still admit it is tempting, since it obviously is a rare gramophone, even if it most probably is not very valuable moneywise, it is unique..and yes..also both perculiar and cute as Marco says.
I was able to find this link about Fidelio Musikwerke in Berlin, if they also made this Station Music Box, I must say they really also made very impressive and different machines. https://www.icollector.com/Fidelio-Stat ... _i14447331

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It is certainly unusual, so at only 40 Euros (GBP£34) I would snap it up if it is in working order.