Missing speed dial arrow index.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Missing speed dial arrow index.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Gentle fellows, as anticipated my HMV 163 is obviously missing the speed indicator index. I think I remember seeing one before and I seem to recall it was shaped as an arrow. I suppose it has to be fastened on that small threaded spindle with one or two nuts, which are also missing.

Does anyone have a good picture to show me which parts I need?

Anyone perhaps knows anyone who might have these parts (or an entire motor) as a spare? Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_20191205_0706341.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Missing speed dial arrow index.

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Marco,

That is a nuisance it's gone missing. Are you sure it isn't inside the cabinet some where? The long arrow stick has to be removed if taking the motor off the motor board (otherwise it bends upwards) and this is probably how it went missing. Someone didn't put it back. I don't have one but I'm sure 'soundgen' will have, if he sees this. Otherwise perhaps you could cut something out of sheet metal until an original part turns up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Thank you very much for the picture! Yes most probably it was bent during a clumsy motor removal attempt, and then discarded. Indeed it's a nuisance, but fortunately it's also a part that in the worst case I might be able to craft quite decently from any metal sheet.

I am a returning customer of Mike (soundgen) so hopingly he will knock and say he has all the appropriate parts! :rose:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Your local clock repairer might have a hand of the right size and shape in their spares box.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

A couple of years ago (or there abouts) I bought an old 78 record collection and they came with a Floor Standing oak HMV gramophone. (Don't know the model number).

The gramophone had so much woodworm that I had to get rid of it asap. You have to see to believe the damage these things can cause. Before I saw it first hand I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Anyway, I kept the 'mechanical' bits and made it into a Table Top Frankenphone- which I use daily as my main machine. It sounds great.

One part I didn't keep it seems was the part you need. It most probably ended up in the bin.

However, there is a small chance that I just dropped / disguarded it and it could be laying around in the grass somewhere, where I dismantled it.

If it is, it may well have rusted too much by now. Also, after a couple of years what are the chances of actually finding it ? I seem to remember it was a fairly thick metal though.

So, I will have a look over the weekend as I am out tomorrow. Miracles do happen but as I say the chances are small so Soundgen / watch menders will be your best bet. I just thought I would mention this.

Photo below of the bits I put on my Frankenphone which seem to be the same as yours.

Happy days always !
Attachments
FP.jpg
FP.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

Marco,

These fit the speed indicator for an HMV#32 motor that I believe is on your 163. It wants for a little straightening and a bit of paint, but it should fit. Verify that this is what you need and PM your mailing address: I'll send it forthwith. You are welcome to it.

Robert
Attachments
HMV32Indicator.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Marco: Glad you've found one!
Poddling.... Any chances of seeing that Frankenstein of yours? Maybe some photos, or even a video of it performing...? Your mention has touched my own long plans to make one myself, the definitive machine... with a long tractrix horn of triangular cross section, made at the corner of a room, using the ceiling corner as the final reflector and horn flare....
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Dear Robert, THANK YOU for looking for that spare and for parting from it!

Lucky me!!! :clover:

"Poodling", thanks to you as well, no need to search any further it seems... :rose:

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Dear Robert, THANK YOU for looking for that spare and for parting from it!

Lucky me!!! :clover:

"Poodling", thanks to you as well, no need to search any further it seems... :rose:
I love it when this sort of thing happens. What a fantastic community we have here.

Additional congratulations Marco!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Agree in full! :D Too bad I have almost no spares in my drawer and I can very rarely reciprocate these favours... :(