1929 Columbia Machine Catalogue.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SteveM
Victor II

Re: 1929 Columbia Machine Catalogue.

Post by SteveM »

epigramophone wrote:
Marco Gilardetti wrote:Thank you very much for scanning and sharing! I've seen the images concerning the plano-reflex technology elsewhere on the internet before, but never in the context of a full catalogue. Isn't it peculiar that they still had one single external horn model available as late as 1929?
Yes, I owned the only example I have ever seen, and regret selling it. I took pity on a newbie who had been deceived by a Crapophone and wanted the real thing.
Thanks, epigramophone, for the catalogue ... a great read!

The 2a ... I just LOVE that it exists. Small, lightweight single spring, aluminum diaphragm ... I really want one, to accompany my red-horned 31a (ANOTHER machine I was told I would NEVER find)!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: 1929 Columbia Machine Catalogue.

Post by epigramophone »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Yes I can imagine you're regretting that sale... :|

Do you remember if also the elbow that supports the horn had a flat plano-reflex surface, or was it a standard elbow? It isn't clear by the drawing.
The elbow was standard, but the catalogue illustration is not to be relied upon. Look closely and you will see that it is the previous Model 2, with the one piece tonearm and the old style transfer on the case. Columbia had updated the description but not the illustration!