HMV 34 motor, help needed

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor VI

Re: HMV 34 motor, help needed

Post by soundgen »

SteveM wrote:Thanks for the info!
My particular 34 motor needs a full winding to play just one side, and it's constant resistance the entire way. I keep hoping it will loosen up a bit!
it won't ! and you have a serious problem and need to get it overhauled . it should play probably 6 10" 78s on a full winding . if you continue to use it
like this you risk springs breaking !

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Nostalgia, the difference between a 250 and a 251 is quite significant, even though the cabinets are the same. 250 has a goose-neck tone-arm, No 2 sound box and cast-iron and wood horn. 251 has a No 4 sound box on narrow swan-neck tonearm and a folded zinc horn.Acoustically, it was a huge advance on the 250.Both models normally have a 32 motor.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Oedipus, the information you gave here was much appreciated, since I was still unsure what model I had, after reading "The His Master's Gramophone" book concerning these two models. From your description I now understand I have Model 251, I also upload a photo of the motorboard and turntable of this gramophone, since this is not found in the same book. I bought this gramophone one year ago, it was for sale for a longer period, but no one seemed to want it, despite that it remains in very good condition. It actually also plays very well, and I love the purple felt too, and also the lovely smell it has when opening the lid. I have absolutely no clue where this smell comes from, but I like it a lot, for me it is the HMV smell.;) I should maybe be hesitant to service the motor though, since it easily may remove the smell. :roll:
This is kind of an interesting topic too really, at least to me, the smell inside old HMV floor models. I have three of them in my house, and they all have this particular and to me interesting smell under the lid cover. Does someone know where this smell is originating from? Even after all these years, the smell is still as strong as when I got my first floor model 30 years ago. Have someone else paid notice to this? Is it the woodwork, or?
Attachments
HMV Model 251 (2).jpg