German? horn gramophone. Identification + help needed.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
woundup
Victor Jr

German? horn gramophone. Identification + help needed.

Post by woundup »

My first post on this forum.

I bought this machine on eBay about six months ago and have so far had no success in identifying it. I’m guessing its German because of the wood effect painted horn but there are details that bear a passing resemblance to HMV. The motor, back bracket, brake, speed control and crank escutcheon appear to be the same as those fitted to the Syrena machine shown in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35855

The “Excellent” soundbox resembles a long necked HMV Exhibition and may not be original to my machine as the fitting seems a little odd. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

What concerns me most, however, is the decorative molding that is missing from the front of the motor box. The witness mark suggests some sort of wreath or garland at the centre with swags at left and right. It’s probably quite ornate and difficult to replicate from scratch, but a photograph or catalogue image would be a good start. Can anyone help in this regard?

Regards
Alan
Attachments
soundbox03.jpg
soundbox02.jpg
soundbox02.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
soundbox01.jpg
soundbox.jpg
rear_box.jpg
motorboard.jpg
motor02.jpg
motor01.jpg
gram02.jpg
gram02.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
gram01.jpg
front_box.jpg
front.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: German? horn gramophone. Identification + help needed.

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the forum Alan, and congratulations on acquiring this imposing machine.
The style, and in particular the horn, is reminiscent of Beka. The image below of a similar but not identical machine is taken from their 1911/12 catalogue.

Roger.
Attachments
Image.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"The “Excellent” soundbox resembles a long necked HMV Exhibition and may not be original to my machine as the fitting seems a little odd. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?"

The "Excellent" reproducer is one of several German clones of Victor or HMV Exhibition reproducers. I think it's original to your machine... what seems "odd" about the fitting?

As far as finding the original, probably brass, embellishment on the front of your machine... I think it will be an almost impossible search to find one.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

woundup
Victor Jr

Post by woundup »

Hi.

Curt A wrote:
"what seems "odd" about the fitting?"

The soundbox neck seems too long for the the short tube that it fits inside of resulting in an unnecessarily large offset and the locating spigott barely enters the locating slot. However, I think you're probably right about it being the original soundbox.

I agree that finding an original embellishment will be impossible but that was never my expectation. I've seen a lot of pictures of gramophones that have decorative moldings that resemble carved wood. I was rather hoping it would be possible to cast something in resin after first making a pattern from something like milliput.

Thanks for the response.

Alan
Last edited by woundup on Wed May 06, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woundup
Victor Jr

Post by woundup »

Hello again.

Thanks epigramophone for the scanned catalogue page. The machine depicted does look quite similar to mine.

"Cabinet polished oak with curved lines and base ornamented with wood carving".

I wonder if "wood carving" means some sort of fake wood? That would be so much easier to replicate than anything made of metal.

Thanks again.
Alan

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

check out these folks they would custom make one ! you know the rough shape
Attachments
catalog-2018.pdf
(8.14 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

woundup
Victor Jr

Post by woundup »

Thanks Soundgen.

I've downloaded the catalogue. I guess having the piece professionally made would be a lot easier than trying to make it myself.

Regards
Alan

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

That's a lovely looking machine :)