My Favorite Machine - The HMV 102 Portable!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
StanB
Victor Jr

Re: My Favorite Machine - The HMV 102 Portable!

Post by StanB »

WOW! :o I just checked ebay and see what you mean by High Prices!
I bought my 102 while in Southern Turkey back in 1977. There was a little shop a short distance outside the main gate. I asked the shop owner how much he wanted. "1,000 Turkish Lira" (at 35 TL to the dollar, that was just a little over $28) How much American Dollars? I asked. $20.00 he said. Do you want Marlboro cigarettes? "Two cartons" he said without even looking up. Deal I said. I went and got the Marlboro's. Back then they were $3.35 per carton.
So for a total of $6.70 I got my little HMV102! :D

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

The 102 is high on my list of favorite machines :)

I bought a fairly nice 102 in 2005 for less than $100 off US eBay. I understand that over time those prices mean nothing, but I think in the past few years that the prices for HMV portables have gone up in the US market and also in the UK market based on what I see on eBay. (I don't have documented price evidence, just my feeling). I'm glad I got mine before the bubble inflated. Conversely, big cabinet machines in the US seem to have fallen in price over the past few years.

However, if stranded on an island I would rather be stuck with my 8-30. At least I could turn it into a boat and leave the island if I wanted to do so :lol:... to get more beer.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Just wondering. On the European Machines list is the HMV 101. I posted some photos of my Telefunken which seems to share the reproducer type at least as well as case.. I notice in this thread that all the machines have the metal Orthophonic looking reproducers, yet the 101 in the European Machines thread and mine have mica diaphragms.. Anyone know the history of how that went?

Larry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

larryh wrote:Just wondering. On the European Machines list is the HMV 101. I posted some photos of my Telefunken which seems to share the reproducer type at least as well as case.. I notice in this thread that all the machines have the metal Orthophonic looking reproducers, yet the 101 in the European Machines thread and mine have mica diaphragms.. Anyone know the history of how that went?

Larry
The HMV101 was produced from 1925 to 1931, during which time there were many changes in specification, but all versions had the No.4 soundbox with mica diaphragm.

By the time the HMV102 replaced the 101 in 1931, aluminium diaphragms had become the norm. The earliest 102's had the No.16 soundbox, which was superseded by the 5a and eventually the 5b. Many earlier 102's have a later soundbox fitted, as the No.16 was "sealed for life" and could not be repaired.

I have in my collection a 5b soundbox with a non-standard rear coupling to fit the the earlier narrow bore HMV tonearm of the 101 and it's contemporaries. Whether this was an approved period conversion or the work of an enthusiastic amateur I do not know.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Is there a significant improvement in sound with the latter reproducer? I noticed that the mica version I have and the Columbia 810 I once owned had wonderful sound and used mica.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Sound quality is subjective. Some collectors say that the 102 has the wider range, while others contend that the 101 has the sweeter tone. In my experience, having owned many examples of both models, the 102 is certainly louder.

There are many 101's struggling in old age with rock hard gaskets in their No.4 soundboxes, which partly explains why they often suffer in comparison with the 102. The soundboxes fitted to the 102 do not rely on rubber gaskets, and unless abused, seldom need rebuilding.

StanB
Victor Jr

Post by StanB »

epigramophone wrote:
larryh wrote:Just wondering. On the European Machines list is the HMV 101. I posted some photos of my Telefunken which seems to share the reproducer type at least as well as case.. I notice in this thread that all the machines have the metal Orthophonic looking reproducers, yet the 101 in the European Machines thread and mine have mica diaphragms.. Anyone know the history of how that went?

Larry
The HMV101 was produced from 1925 to 1931, during which time there were many changes in specification, but all versions had the No.4 soundbox with mica diaphragm.

By the time the HMV102 replaced the 101 in 1931, aluminium diaphragms had become the norm. The earliest 102's had the No.16 soundbox, which was superseded by the 5a and eventually the 5b. Many earlier 102's have a later soundbox fitted, as the No.16 was "sealed for life" and could not be repaired.

I have in my collection a 5b soundbox with a non-standard rear coupling to fit the the earlier narrow bore HMV tonearm of the 101 and it's contemporaries. Whether this was an approved period conversion or the work of an enthusiastic amateur I do not know.
I hear about all these different Soundbox's. Where can I find info describing the #4, #5a, #5b, #16, etc? Are Soundbox's the same as the Reproducers?
(I need a "HMV for Dumbies" book. :) )
Stan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

In the UK we generally use the term "Soundbox".
"Reproducer" is generally used for vertical cut components by Edison, Pathé etc.

The definitive book on HMV acoustic machines is "His Master's Gramophone" ISBN 978-0-9567771-0-2, which includes information on soundboxes, motors and much more. It deserves a place on every collector's bookshelf.