9 new toys

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
saxymojo
Victor II

9 new toys

Post by saxymojo »

Hi all
Went to an auction last week and came home with a few new toys.

My girl bought this one, it is an Arton. We believe it is Spanish with a UK patent by Andia. Plays very well.

This one was sold as a LUX I think it is a french machine. I really only bought this for the horn, it is huge and made of aluminum.

Nice mikiphone, the plastic speaker is perfect.

My first Puk, a Siren

My first Bettini :D it is a model N, The SM is missing it's lid.

This machine has the same motor as the Budda and is equally odd

She bought this one too. It is a Spanish Extrafon

I don't know exactly why I bought these.

Regards Marcel

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: 9 new toys

Post by phonophan79 »

Wowie, nice! LOL you seem to be casual about the amount "oh just another nine-machine day"! ;-)

I would like the Arton without the giant Buddha speaker, but it is still a lovely machine! All of them are, thanks for taking the time to share!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Good grief, only 9? That is an amazing haul, some machines that never show up in the US. The Spring Motor with Bettini attachment is really great. So how many phonos were at the auction in total? Were there other amazing machines that you did not purchase?

Steve S

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow! Other people would call that alone a collection :o
Congratulations.
Andreas

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

What an amazing haul! I agree with Steve, the Bettini is amazing.

Congratulations on the wonderful addition to your collection.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

My goodness!! You must live in an area where the money trees are in full-bloom! :clover:

Your one-day haul is what I would aspire to in my lifetime. :rose:

noedison
Victor Jr

Post by noedison »

Congratulations, for me it would be like winning the lottery! I hope you partied the whole weekend.

Some really fine European machines. The "Lux" is a Spanish made HMV (I'll see if I have the relevant catalog where it is pictured & I will post it.)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

It must be a frustrating experience to come home with less than a dozen new machines. At least you got a very nice aluminium horn. ;)

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

schweg wrote:Good grief, only 9? That is an amazing haul, some machines that never show up in the US. The Spring Motor with Bettini attachment is really great. So how many phonos were at the auction in total? Were there other amazing machines that you did not purchase?

Steve S
Hi
Thanks for all the replies, There were 27 machines at the auction and quite a few collectors. I had to let them get some too :D
9 is a lot to bring home from one auction but, gramophone auction don't happen that often in Australia. So when they come up I go nuts :twisted:
noedison, I would like to see the info on the Lux, thanks. Unfortunately the fibre gear in the motor is stripped, I will have to get another made, do you know if this is the right reproducer? The rest are all fantastic, we did party all weekend and still are. The Lux has a dealer tag Disques et Phonos Mason Raphael 75 Rue de Rome Marseille.

Regards Marcel :D

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
This is an article from a Sydney newspaper about the auction.

"Long before the iPad, the iPod, long before the Discman and the Walkman, and, well, way back around the time of Neanderthal man, the gramophone was the cutting edge of home entertainment. Some were squeaky, some were ornate, and some were downright bizarre - like one, manufactured about 1923, that looks like a statue of Buddha, with the enlightened one converting into a speaker when required. The collectable oddity is one of 35 gramophones that belonged to the corporate raider Robert Holmes a Court, who died in 1990. Our antique audio correspondent, Steve Meacham, tells us the Holmes a Court treasure trove of antique musical devices had been gathering dust at Heytesbury Stud, the family's thoroughbred operation in Western Australia, but they will all be auctioned in Annandale today. Martin Farrah, the managing director of Lawsons Auctioneers, told Meacham the story of how Holmes a Court acquired them was as fascinating as the objects themselves. ''There was a Spanish bloke who was doing some business with Robert just before he died. The guy was a bit cash-poor and couldn't pay. So Robert agreed to take his gramophone collection instead. I think Robert thought he might develop an interest in the collection when he retired.'' But sadly Holmes a Court died of a heart attack, aged just 53. The auction also includes some 78rpm records. As for what ''records'' are, well, sit on our knee, and we'll tell you all about them …"